PITTSFIELD, Mass. — It is still early but interest in the municipal election is slowly building.
Only incumbent Mayor Linda Tyer has announced a campaign for re-election so far but three others have taken out nomination papers, indicating a possible challenge. Former Pittsfield Police Officer Karen Kalinwosky, Rusty Anchor owner Scott Graves, and resident Craig Gaetani have also pulled papers.
Graves and Gaetani could also be considering other seats as well. Graves also took out papers for city clerk, potentially challenging incumbent Michele Benjamin who is running for re-election. Gaetani also drew papers for two council seats, an at-large seat and Ward 6. An individual can only run for one seat in the election.
On the City Council, most of the incumbents have taken out nomination papers. The only incumbents who haven't take out papers is Ward 6 Councilor John Krol and Anthony Simonelli, both of whom have said they would not be seeking re-election, and Melissa Mazzeo, who has been long rumored as a potential mayoral candidate but has not declared her intentions.
Helen Moon, Kevin Morandi, Nicholas Caccamo, Chris Connell, and Donna Todd Rivers have all taken out papers for their respective wards and, as of yet, no potential challenges have taken out papers.
In Ward 6, Edward Carmel, who ran for an at-large seat last election, and former Councilor Joseph Nichols took out papers. In Ward 7, Jeffrey Ferrin, a former mayoral candidate, took out papers.
Only three people have taken out papers for a potential run for the School Committee, those being incumbents William Cameron, Joshua Cutler, and Daniel Elias.
It is still very early in the election season and any actual candidates are far from being known but the interest so far shows that there could be some potential races coming ahead.
iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue; please keep comments focused on the issues and not on personalities. Profanity, obscenity, racist language and harassment are not allowed. iBerkshires reserves the right to ban commenters or remove commenting on any article at any time. Concerns may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue. Name-calling, personal attacks, libel, slander or foul language is not allowed. All comments are reviewed before posting and will be deleted or edited as necessary.
PCTV Documentary Finds Pittsfield Parade Dates Back to 1801
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Pittsfield Community Television's recently released documentary "Fighting For Independence: The History of the Pittsfield Fourth of July Parade" has traced the first Pittsfield Fourth of July Parade back to at least 1801.
An article in the Pittsfield Sun from July 7, 1801, says that "at 12:00 o’ clock at noon a Procession was formed consisting of the Militia of the town."
Previously the Pittsfield Parade Committee acknowledged that the parade dated back to 1824.
"This was a fascinating discovery, as we researched to put this documentary together," said Bob Heck, PCTV’s coordinator of advancement and community production and executive producer of the program. "Not only were we able to trace the parade back further than ever before, but to see how the parade has impacted Pittsfield, and how the community always seems to come together to make sure the parade happens is remarkable."
The Pittsfield Fourth of July parade experienced bumps in the road even back in the early 1800s - most notably, when Captain Joseph Merrick, a Federalist, excluded Democrats from the yearly post-parade gathering at his tavern in 1808.
The parade ran concurrently from at least 1801 until 1820. In 1821, Pittsfield’s spiritual leader Dr. Rev. Heman Humphrey, canceled the festivities so the day could be dedicated to God before resuming in 1822 after residents decided they wanted their parade.
"Fighting for Independence: The History of the Pittsfield Fourth of July Parade" premiered July 4 at 9:30 am on PCTV Access Pittsfield Channel 1301 and PCTV Select. The program is available on-demand on PCTV Select, available on Roku and Apple TV, or online.
The board voted 3-2 on Monday to allow the bar on Lake Pontoosuc to open up seating and serve beer and wine on its patio under the governor's orders for Phase 2 that allows for outside dining.
click for more