ITHACA, N.Y. -- Williams junior Rebecca Duncan fired a called third strike past Ithaca lead-off batter Nikkey Skuraton with two outs and the tying run on second base Saturday as the Williams College softball team edged the Bombers, 4-3, to sweep the best-of-three NCAA Div. III Tournament Super Regional and advance to the eight-team national tournament for the fourth time in program history.
Williams (38-5) will travel to Tyler, Texas, Tuesday in preparation for the start of the double-elimination tournament which runs Thursday through Tuesday. Ithaca concludes its season with a 28-9-1 record.
Duncan was named the Super Regional's Most Outstanding Pitcher and Williams senior Mackenzie Murphy was chosen as the Most Outstanding Player.
In Saturday's Game 2, the Ephs rallied from an early 2-0 deficit, scoring twice in the third and twice in the fourth to take a 4-2 lead, then held on for the one-run victory, their third straight. The Ephs are 5-0 in NCAA play to date.
|iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue; please keep comments focused on the issues and not on personalities. Profanity, obscenity, racist language and harassment are not allowed. iBerkshires reserves the right to ban commenters or remove commenting on any article at any time. Concerns may be sent to email@example.com.|
- Mount Greylock School Project Submitting for LEED Certification
- Williams College Seeking Input as It Forms Strategic Plan
- Williamstown Fire District Holding Event for Potential Candidates
- Williams College Redoes Section of Pavement in Spring Street Lot
- Williams College Opens Energy-Efficient Student Housing
- Microcosm Holds Surprising Pollinators' Diversity