Hot Weather Reminder From State Fire Marshal

Print Story | Email Story
STOW, Mass. — State Fire Marshal Peter J. Ostroskey reminds residents that air conditioners and other major appliances should be plugged directly into wall outlets, not extension cords or power strips.
 
"We're looking at a hot, humid weekend, and many folks will be bringing out their air conditioners or heading to the store to buy them," State Fire Marshal Ostroskey said. "Like all major appliances, these devices should be plugged directly into a wall outlet. They can overload a power strip or extension cord and cause a fire."
 
Electrical fires are the second-leading cause of fire deaths and the third-leading type of residential fires overall in Massachusetts, the Marshal said. 
 
Protect yourself and your family by following these safety tips at home:
 
  • Avoid overloading outlets
  • Use only one device plugged into a power strip at a time
  • Remember that extension cords are for temporary use
  • Check electrical cords for damage and keep them out from under rugs and furniture
  • Charge laptops, phones, e-cigarettes, and other rechargeable devices on hard, stable surfaces, not beds or couches
  • Call a licensed electrician if you experience flickering lights, frequently blown fuses or tripped circuit breakers, or unusually warm plugs, cords, or switches
  • Call your local fire department if you see arcs or sparks, hear a sizzling or buzzing sound, or smell the odor of something burning in the home
  • Have a licensed electrician review your home's electrical system every ten years
"No matter the weather, every household should have working smoke alarms on every floor and a practiced home escape plan that accounts for two ways out," State Fire Marshal Ostroskey said. "A fire at home can become deadly in less than three minutes."

Tags: state fire marshal,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Pittsfield School Committee Updated on Middle Restructuring, Morningside Closure

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

PITTSFIELD, Mass.— The Pittsfield Public Schools will have a different middle-level structure and one less elementary school in the 2026-2027 school year. 

On Wednesday, Interim Superintendent Latifah Phillips delivered updates on these efforts.

"We've got a lot of change happening in our school district, a lot of work happening leading up to the end of the school year and over the summer," she explained. 

Late last year, the former committee voted to restructure Pittsfield's two middle schools in the fall, with Grades 5 and 6 attending Herberg Middle School and Grades 7 and 8 attending Reid Middle School. 

One of the top priorities for middle school restructuring is staff assignments.  Phillips reported that the Human Resources department has taken a "tremendous" effort to support teachers with their grade 5-8 assignments. 

"The teacher is the most impactful school-based input in student success, and so I really want to make sure that as we support our students, we're also supporting our staff as we make plans for next school year," she explained. 

Classrooms also need to be packed and physically moved, and the district has communicated with families about move-up ceremonies for upcoming fifth graders. 

Start and end times are also important factors, as well as student visits to Herberg and Reid.  Phillips said it is important to give students another opportunity to visit the schools now that a decision has been made to restructure in the fall, and that they meet principals before the first day of school. 

View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories