image description
Family members of the Pascual-Polanco brothers gather outside of Berkshire Superior on Thursday to speak to media after the two men were sentenced to life in prison.

Pascual-Polanco Brothers Sentenced to Life for 2019 Homicide

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff
Print Story | Email Story

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Chiry Omar Pascual-Polanco and Carlos Pascual-Polanco on Thursday were given life sentences without possibility for parole for the murder of 18-year-old Jaden Salois in 2019.

The brothers lured Salois, of Dalton, outside a Pittsfield home for a false drug deal and shot him in the back in the early morning hours on Jan. 20, 2019. Prosecutors say the killing was over allegations of stolen marijuana. 
 
During the sentencing at Berkshire Superior Court, several of Salios' family members gave impact statements that detailed his kind disposition and hopes for the future. They said it was unfair for him to be robbed of it.

"A piece of me is gone that will never be replaced," his mother Megan Bernardini wrote.

"Over the past 3 1/2 years, me and my family have experienced endless sleepless nights and have had never-ending thoughts of why this happened to Jaden and why this happened to us," his cousin Brianna Crucitti said. "We still don't know why it happened to him or why it happened to us."

Family members of Chiry Omar, 26, and Carlos, 22, called the verdict is an injustice, arguing that there was not sufficient provable evidence and that the brothers are innocent.  

They did not speak at the sentencing but offered statements to iBerkshires afterward.

Sister Marisela Pascual knew that she and her brothers had "no fighting chance" for their lives in this community and said it is clear that they didn’t commit the crime.

"That didn't matter to the jury who made the deliberations in under six hours," Pascual added. "Obvious to say, they had their minds made up."

Their mother Maribel Polanco said the verdict is a "big injustice" and racism against her children, arguing that it was decided on because they have a Hispanic last name.

Cousin Elina Estrella said the case showed a lot of circumstantial evidence that was not concrete and pointed to a lack of diversity on the jury. She believes that if Salois was a person of color and her cousins were white, it "would have been a different story."

Last month, the brothers were found guilty of murder in the first degree by a Berkshire Superior Court jury following a two-week trial that saw the prosecution call 30 witnesses. They were also found guilty on two counts of possession of a firearm without a firearm identification card, two counts of possession of ammunition without an FID, and possession of marijuana with intent to distribute.



The two were sentenced to life without the possibility of parole in the Massachusetts Correctional Institute at Cedar Junction in South Walpole.

The other counts carry a sentence of two years in the Berkshire County House of Corrections and one carries a sentence of five years in the state correctional facility.

A third co-defendant, Dasean Smith, 24, of Pittsfield, is also charged with murder and will be tried separately.

"I send my condolences to Jaden's loved ones, and I admire their courage in delivering their powerful victim impact statements to the court. Jaden is gone but lives on in the hearts of those who loved him, and I hope this measure of accountability supports his family," District Attorney Andrea Harrington said.
 
"I thank the Pittsfield Police Department and the Massachusetts State Police for their investigation into this senseless homicide, and I am proud of the trial team for their presentation of the facts to the jury."

Salois' grandmother said he had gotten in with the wrong crowd and that his family always hoped that he would realize that this life wasn't going to work out for him. She said they spent a lot of time talking on the phone about how to improve his circumstances prior to his death.

"He had hopes and dreams like we all do. A future life with marriage and children. He knew we wanted to be a dad," Salois' other grandmother said.

"He knew he wanted to have God in his life and I would take him to every church in the city until he found one that he felt comfortable with. He never had a chance to do that because time ran out for him."


Tags: murder,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Fourth Shooting Occurs Day After DA Announces Gun Violence Task Force

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — The day after Berkshire District Attorney Timothy Shugrue announced a task force to take on a spate of gun violence in the city, a another person was injured after shots were fired on Circular Avenue early Tuesday evening. 

Pittsfield Police responded to a 5:30 p.m. ShotSpotter activation at 45 Circular Ave.on Tuesday night. Five rounds were shot, and there was one victim, police said. 
 
"We're investigating it. We don't know if it's connected to anything else," Detective Lt. John Mazzeo said. "What's going on? We can't speculate. It's way too early for that, and the house was struck." 
 
He could not speak to the identity or condition of the victim; a press release shortly afterward stated the victim sustained non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to Berkshire Medical Center by private vehicle.
 
By around 7 p.m. when iBerkshires was on site, the area near the intersection of Circular Avenue and Division Street was blocked off with tape. 
 
This is the fourth gun violence incident in Pittsfield since mid-June.

On Sunday evening, three people were taken to the hospital after a shooting near the intersection of Linden Street and Francis Avenue. This is the third gun violence incident in Pittsfield since mid-June. 

The investigation into all three incidents is still active, and police are confident that they are targeted acts of violence. 

"Right now, our community is rightfully extremely concerned and troubled," Shugrue said in a statement released on Monday.  

"There are many unanswered questions surrounding these incidents of violence. There is an understandable feeling of frustration and fear that no one has been arrested and limited questions have been answered." 

The task force will be led by First Assistant District Attorney Marianne Shelvey, who formerly served at the U.S. Department of Justice's Violent Crimes and Racketeering Section. It will support the Pittsfield Police Department's work and provide additional resources, including additional personnel and overtime funding through grants awarded to the Berkshire DA to support the investigation.

Members of the Pittsfield Police, the Berkshire State Police Detective Unit assigned to the District Attorney's Office, and the Berkshire County Law Enforcement Task Force will be present. 

On June 18, a person died after being shot in the area of Tyler Street and Pleasure Avenue, and another person was injured. Following an extensive investigation, PPD applied for and was granted an arrest warrant for Terry Martizna, wanted for murder. 

On Aug. 4, there was a report of approximately 25 rounds fired around the intersection of Onota and Walnut Street, leading to two non-life-threatening injuries. 

This past weekend, on Aug. 16, there was a third incident of gun violence in the area of Francis Avenue and Linden Street, and three individuals suffered non-life-threatening injuries. 

The DA said all three incidents shattered a feeling of safety in the city.
 
"At this point, we also know that the incidents of violence involve both adults and juveniles. The investigation into all three incidents remains active," the DA wrote. 

"While it is unclear if the incidents are connected, based on the investigations to date, law enforcement are confident that the incidents are targeted and NOT random."

Mayor Peter Marchetti on Monday assured the community that the city is diligently working with law enforcement officials to identify those responsible, as "these acts of violence are not acceptable in this community, and I remain committed to holding those responsible accountable." 

Marchetti, in a written statement posted to social media, said he is in regular communication with the police chief and DA as they continue investigations. He is thankful for the formation of the specialized task force and additional resources. 

"As Mayor, I am committed to providing updates to the public regarding public safety matters, when appropriate. I share your frustration about the limited information released but I will not compromise the integrity of any investigation. As these investigations continue, the public should know that the DA’s Office and Pittsfield Police Department are using every available resource they have to bring the cases to a successful conclusion," he wrote. 

"However, we cannot do this work alone. I continue to ask anyone who may have witnessed any of the incidents or who has information, photographs, or video that could assist investigators to contact the Pittsfield Police Department." 

He emphasized that all individuals need to be held accountable, and said he cannot jeopardize the case by providing information before it is appropriate. 

Pittsfield has seen gun violence incidents uptick during the summer in the past decade. In 2021, from May 12 through mid-June, there were 13 shootings in Pittsfield, most of which happened in the city's West Side.

The DA said this violence, while carried out by people, is amplified by access to guns and ammunition. Anyone with information of someone with an illegal firearm or any information regarding these incidents is asked to contact Pittsfield Police, 413-448-9700, or provide an anonymous tip by texting PITTIP and your message to TIP411 (847411).

View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories