DALTON, Mass. — Lucas Wildrick is this school year's recipient of the Superintendent's Award for Academic Excellence.
Wildrick, a senior at Wahconah Regional High School, was presented with the award at the Nov. 9 Central Berkshire Regional School Committee meeting by Superintendent Leslie Blake-Davis.
The Massachusetts Association of School Superintendents award is given to the student who has distinguished themselves by maintaining high academic standings and leadership endeavors.
Wildrick, the son of Rachel and Stephen Wildrick of Dalton, has participated in several groups at Wahconah High including the Youth Advisory Board, the Rotary Club, Best Buddies, Quiz Team, and National Honor Society. He has served as a mentor to many of the younger members in the school community in the role of coach for youth baseball and basketball, and through his work as a summer camp counselor at the Dalton Youth Center.
"I am extremely impressed with his commitment to some of the younger learners within our school community. Serving as a role model can make all the difference in the learning life of a student," said Blake-Davis. "Knowing that there is someone you can look up to as a friend, role model, and advocate means so much."
iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue; please keep comments focused on the issues and not on personalities. Profanity, obscenity, racist language and harassment are not allowed. iBerkshires reserves the right to ban commenters or remove commenting on any article at any time. Concerns may be sent to email@example.com.
iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue. Name-calling, personal attacks, libel, slander or foul language is not allowed. All comments are reviewed before posting and will be deleted or edited as necessary.
State Fire Marshal: Keep Warm, Keep Safe During Cold Snap
STOW, Mass. — With bitter cold temperatures heading our way this weekend, State Fire Marshal Peter J. Ostroskey is reminding residents to "Keep Warm, Keep Safe" and avoid fire and carbon monoxide (CO) hazards while heating their homes.
"Home heating equipment is the second-leading cause of residential fires and the main source of carbon monoxide at home," Ostroskey said. "Working smoke and CO alarms are your first line of defense against these hazards. With furnaces, fireplaces, and space heaters working overtime this weekend, be sure they're installed on every floor of your home and test them to be sure you and your family are protected.
"It's important to keep space heaters at least three feet from curtains, bedding, and anything else that can burn," Ostroskey said. "Plug them directly into a wall socket, not an extension cord or a power strip, and remember that they're intended for temporary use. Always turn a space heater off when you leave the room or go to sleep."
In a historic move fueled by the growing demand for skilled tradespeople and the evolution of career technical education, the School Committee has decided that Taconic is a solely vocational school. click for more