Letter: Mass MoCA Strike

Letter to the EditorPrint Story | Email Story

To the Editor:

On March 13, 2024, I had the opportunity to speak with the workers on strike at Mass MoCA. I spent several hours with them, listening to them, learning from them, and coming to understand them. The workers are on strike not because they don't love their work, but because they deserve to be paid sustainable wages. They don't just want a job but they want career opportunities, the ability to work at the museum and make enough in wages to provide for themselves and their families.

It's unacceptable for dedicated employees to struggle to make ends meet while working at an institution as prominent as Mass MoCA. Negotiating for fair compensation is a fundamental right, and it's disappointing that after five months of discussions, museum management has failed to reach an agreement that meets the needs of its workers. Anyone in our community can attest to the fact that the cost of living in Berkshire County is going up — and Mass MoCA staffers are not immune to these increases.

MASS MoCA is an important institution within our community. They are great at bringing people in to visit our city and they recently secured a grant to become a better economic partner with the city of North Adams. I am grateful for their presence and what they have done to help our city grow. Mass MoCA,is also a non-profit organization that enjoys tax benefits not available to commercial businesses, many of which still provide a higher wage to their workers.

If Mass MoCA truly supports economic development in our city and our community then there is no valid excuse for Mass MoCA failing to invest in its most valuable asset — the people who make it great. I stand in solidarity with the workers of Mass MoCA and urge the management to prioritize their well-being by reaching a fair agreement as soon as possible.

Ashley M. Shade
North Adams, Mass.

 

 

 

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

North Adams Alerting Persons in SS Number Release

By Tammy Daniels iBerkshires Staff
NORTH ADAMS, Mass. — City Hall is sending out 419 letters to individuals who received some form of compensation from the city using their Social Security number. 
 
The numbers were inadvertently included in a public records request made by Michael Milazzo regarding airport operations. Milazzo returned a thumb drive that included the file to the Police Department. 
 
"We will notify those people. We are working on a letter. We're working on setting up the credit monitoring," Mayor Jennifer Macksey said, speaking to the press on Monday. "We will do whatever we have to do. But again, right now we've only disclosed that information to one individual."
 
The mayor said she was thankful Milazzo returned the file but recognized that the city had erred in allowing it to be included without redactions. She repeated several times that the file had only been released to Milazzo and she could only confirm the thumb drive had been returned. 
 
A query to Milazzo's lawyer, who had spoken with the city public records officer Marya Kozik, had not been returned by publication. This article will be updated with any response. 
 
"It should not have happened, and we all recognize that we're not trying to hide anything, but we will do the right thing and protect these 419 individuals," the mayor said.
 
It is not illegal to disclose Social Security numbers with the exceptions such as they are being used for fraud or be publicly posted. The numbers are used widely for governmental and financial actions.  
 
View Full Story

More North Adams Stories