Letter: Project 2025 Is an Urgent Threat to Democracy

Letter to the EditorPrint Story | Email Story

To the Editor:

I have watched the recent resurgence of the Democratic Party with growing optimism for America's future. Kamala Harris offers America a sane, intelligent candidate who clearly understands the critical importance of American democracy, domestically, and for world stability.

Harris' pro democracy stance contrasts dramatically with Project 2025, the de facto policy platform of Donald Trump and his Republican Party. An urgent threat to American democracy, Project 2025 creates a step-by-step playbook for a second Trump administration, blatantly laying out an authoritarian master plan for the replacement of American Democracy with autocracy.

Project 2025 abolishes constitutionally guaranteed rights and freedoms for all Americans. The plan's anti-American highlights include a nationwide ban on abortion, imposition of Christian Nationalism on America's public institutions, elimination of the Department of Education, criminalization of LGBTQ-plus individuals, rejection of the scientific reality of climate change, censorship banning teaching about slavery and black history, and the forced roundup and imprisonment of millions of immigrants in internment "camps."


Project 2025 abolishes American constitutional democracy by eliminating the Department of Justice. Stating "the rule of law must be consistent with the President's agenda," 2025 replaces the rule of law with the rule of the President.

Although Donald Trump has recently attempted to downplay his support, Project 2025 was written at his behest, largely by former Trump administration staffers.

Project 2025 constitutes an authoritarian assault on our democracy, a written promise to all Americans that, should Trump be reelected, our 250-year-old experiment in democracy will abruptly end.

Sally Filkins
Pittsfield, Mass.

 

 

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Arrest Made in Pittsfield Hit-And-Run

iBerkshires.com Staff
PITTSFIELD, Mass. -- A Hancock man Monday was arrested in connection with last week's fatal hit-and-run accident in Pittsfield, police said.
 
Pittsfield Police arrested William Gross, 65, of Hancock, according to a Monday night news release.
 
The crash on Feb. 10 at the intersection of Francis Avenue and Linden Street led to the death of Pittsfield resident William Colbert, 69.
 
On Monday, Pittsfield Police located the vehicle involved in the accident, the release read.
 
Police said Gross will be arraigned in Central Berkshire District Court on charges of motor vehicle homicide and leaving the scene of an accident resulting in personal injury or death.
View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories