Berkshire County Kids' Place Annual Jimmy Bernardo Memorial Motorcycle Ride

Print Story | Email Story

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Berkshire County Kids' Place and Violence Prevention Center, Inc., invites the community to join us for the 30th Annual Jimmy's Ride on Sunday, Sept. 7, 2025.

This tradition honors the life of Jimmy Bernardo and raises essential funds to help children and families heal from abuse and violence.

The ride begins at Berkshire County Kids' Place, 63 Wendell Ave in Pittsfield, with registration starting at 8:30 a.m. and kickstands up at 11:00 a.m. Riders will travel a scenic 90-minute route through Berkshire County, ending at the Tavern at the A 303 Crane Ave in Pittsfield for the After Party, which starts at noon.

The After Party is open to the public and welcomes everyone, whether you ride or just come to celebrate. Enjoy food, raffles (for purchase), and music.

In addition to supporting child abuse prevention and healing services, this year's event highlights a growing concern: online child safety. Attendees receive free internet safety resource bags, filled with age-appropriate materials. While supplies last.

"For 30 years, Jimmy's Ride has stood for protecting children and creating a safer community," said Mary, Ron, and Rob Bernardo. "This year, we're proud to honor that legacy by expanding the mission to include online safety, because today, protecting kids doesn't end at the front door. It also means safeguarding them on every screen and device they use."

The event honors the life of Jimmy Bernardo, a Pittsfield native who tragically died in 1990. For 30 years, Jimmy's family, friends, and the broader community have come together in his memory to support the work of Berkshire County Kids' Place, the region's fully accredited Children's Advocacy Center, serving families from Berkshire County.

All proceeds from Jimmy's Ride support Kids' Place programs, providing free, specialized services to children and families impacted by neglect, abuse, exploitation, and domestic violence.

 

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Suspect Arraigned in 'Horrific' Dragging Case

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

Complete write-thru 3 p.m., Feb. 18.


District Attorney TimothyShugrue says the community has been 'really upset' by this case. 
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — A Hancock man has been charged in last week's gruesome dragging that killed 69-year-old William Colbert. 
 
William Gross, 65, was arraigned in Central Berkshire District Court on Wednesday for negligent motor vehicle homicide and leaving the scene. He was arrested Monday after police investigators narrowed down the type of car seen on video at the accident scene. 
 
Police say Colbert had fallen in the road at the Francis Avenue and Linden Street intersection on Feb. 10 before he was struck and dragged nearly four miles. His body was found on West Housatonic Street.
 
Gross is being held on $250,000 cash bail in the Berkshire County House of Corrections. District Attorney Timothy Shugrue said the case will go to a grand jury and foresees additional charges being placed. 
 
"I think this community was really upset by this case," Shugrue said while being interviewed by the press after the morning arraignment.  
 
"It's a horrific case, and the fact that someone was fleeing, and there was someone that was stuck there that could have been treated, and potentially in the initial stages, could have been potentially saved." 
 
Colbert was coming from a house on Francis Avenue about 11:30 on Feb. 10 when fell in the road and had trouble getting up, according to Shugrue. 
 
View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories