Dalton BOH Looking at Fines for Permit Scofflaws

By Breanna SteeleiBerkshires Staff
Print Story | Email Story

DALTON, Mass. — The town is looking to be more proactive in ensuring businesses renew their permits on time.

At Tuesday's meeting, the Board of Health was presented with a draft notice from  Berkshire Regional Planning Commission Health Agent Jazu Stine to send to business owners about deadlines and fines for late permit renewals.

Stine said there has not been any motivating factors such as fines or deadlines for the renewals in the past and this should help businesses get those permits in on time. He has noticed a lot of businesses do not get their permits in on time and many do not get submitted until they are "chased down."

There are still businesses that have not applied for their annual renewal, which are needed by Dec. 1.

Dalton is not the only town asked to accept the draft; once it is accepted with any amendments, it will be uploaded into permiteyes online application. If someone does not submit their permit on time, a fine will be added to the permit fee and the permit will not be granted until fine is paid.

At the Board of Health's discretion, cease-and-desist letters will be issued to establishments that continue to operate without a current permit and have not made reasonable efforts to meet the permit renewal requirements.

The letter is planned to go out on Nov. 1, a month ahead of the deadline.

The board noted that Dwyer Funeral Home had not renewed its permit; multiple emails have been sent and calls made with no response. 

New board member Patrick Carsell works there and will speak with the owners and the board will give the funeral home a week before sending a letter. If not heard from, the board will decide what further action will need to be taken at the next meeting.

In other business, the board also spoke about amending the current noise ordinance bylaw as it currently states operating a chainsaw is a violation and its enforcements are unclear. The board plans to work with the Clean Air Committee to make it more realistic and enforceable.


Tags: board of health,   permitting,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Suspect Arraigned in 'Horrific' Dragging Case

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

Complete write-thru 3 p.m., Feb. 18.


District Attorney TimothyShugrue says the community has been 'really upset' by this case. 
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — A Hancock man has been charged in last week's gruesome dragging that killed 69-year-old William Colbert. 
 
William Gross, 65, was arraigned in Central Berkshire District Court on Wednesday for negligent motor vehicle homicide and leaving the scene. He was arrested Monday after police investigators narrowed down the type of car seen on video at the accident scene. 
 
Police say Colbert had fallen in the road at the Francis Avenue and Linden Street intersection on Feb. 10 before he was struck and dragged nearly four miles. His body was found on West Housatonic Street.
 
Gross is being held on $250,000 cash bail in the Berkshire County House of Corrections. District Attorney Timothy Shugrue said the case will go to a grand jury and foresees additional charges being placed. 
 
"I think this community was really upset by this case," Shugrue said while being interviewed by the press after the morning arraignment.  
 
"It's a horrific case, and the fact that someone was fleeing, and there was someone that was stuck there that could have been treated, and potentially in the initial stages, could have been potentially saved." 
 
Colbert was coming from a house on Francis Avenue about 11:30 on Feb. 10 when fell in the road and had trouble getting up, according to Shugrue. 
 
View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories