Cheshire Discusses Road Work, ADU Bylaws

By Breanna SteeleiBerkshires Staff
Print Story | Email Story

CHESHIRE, Mass. — Bumpy Fred Mason Road is on the is on the Department of Public Works' project list for this summer. 

DPW Director Corey McGrath said the summer paving plans are being boosted by an award of $430,000 for the Fred Mason Road project. He told the Select Board on Tuesday that the initial quote for the project was $493,135 and that he will be doing a calcium additive to help with frost and better protect the road.

He also mentioned the DPW plans to shim and pave a portion of Reservoir Road as well as mill and fill a section of Church Street.

McGrath is asking for a total of $472,575 out of Chapter 90 road funds, which was approved.

The Select Board also reviewed bylaw proposals for accessory dwelling units and short-term rentals.

The Planning Board has recently been working with Berkshire Regional Planning Commission through District Local Technical Assistance funding to develop the ADU bylaw while also looking to allow short-term rentals and place them into the zoning table.

Some notable changes include defining an ADU as between 900 and 1,200 square feet with a special permit from the Planning Board; one parking spot per ADU; and requiring special permit for a second ADU.

The dimensional requirements will be the same as already established for principal buildings and structures.

The state allows ADUs by right in single-family residential zones but gives communities some control, such as over setbacks, sizes and permitting.

Select Board member Ronald DeAngelis asked if the planners could look into tiny homes, which tend to be smaller than 400 to 500 square feet, or about half the size of an ADU, and try to have something written for those.

In other notes, the town is preparing to auction of two parcels of land on West Mountain Road and on Shadowland Cove Road. 

Select Board members also held off on using a police chief search committee or consultants for the next chief of police to gather more information. 

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Rising Cost of Fireworks Cancels Annual Cheshire Cruz Nite

Staff Reports
CHESHIRE, Mass. — The annual Cruz Nite is pausing after 35 years because of rising costs. 
 
In a post on Facebook post on Wednesday, the Cheshire Fire Department said the company, "after much consideration, has made the difficult decision to cancel our annual Cruz Nite and Fireworks event for 2026. This pause will allow us time to regroup and determine the best course of action for future events and fundraisers."
 
The August event has featured activities, food trucks, performers, and fire trucks, with a fireworks finale. 
 
"When Cruz Nite first began, proceeds from the event were enough to cover the cost of the fireworks display. Over the years, however, the rising cost of fireworks has made it increasingly difficult to cover that expense through event proceeds alone," according to the post. 
 
Last year, the 20-minute display cost $8,500 and had to be supplemented from the hose company's reserves, and this year the quoted price was $12,500. Searches for other operators only turned up higher prices reaching as much as $17,500. 
 
More than 90 percent of fireworks are imported from China and prices have risen dramatically largely because of high tariffs. The National Fireworks Association said in February that the "fluctuating tariff layers and duty rate increases" have been exceeding 30 percent.  
 
The decision to cancel this year was made at the Hoosac Hose Company's quarterly business meeting on Monday. The post states the vote was unanimous. 
 
View Full Story

More Adams Stories