The annual Cruz Nite & Fireworks has been a Cheshire tradition for 30 years. The Hoosac Hose Company, which puts on the event, says it can't cover the cost for fireworks.
Rising Cost of Fireworks Cancels Display at Cheshire Cruz Nite
"Due to the tremendous outpouring of community support and enthusiasm, we are thrilled to announce that we have officially decided to move forward with our annual Cruz Nite!!" the Fire Department post on its Facebook page on Thursday. "Although we still won’t have fireworks at the event, your messages and shared memories from years past made us realize that gathering together is what Cruz Nite is all about."
The event is scheduled for Aug. 8, with a rain date of Aug. 9.
CHESHIRE, Mass. — The annual Cruz Nite is pausing after 35 years because of rising costs.
In a post on Facebook post on Wednesday, the Cheshire Fire Department said the company, "after much consideration, has made the difficult decision to cancel our annual Cruz Nite and Fireworks event for 2026. This pause will allow us time to regroup and determine the best course of action for future events and fundraisers."
The August event has featured activities, food trucks, performers, and fire trucks, with a fireworks finale.
"When Cruz Nite first began, proceeds from the event were enough to cover the cost of the fireworks display. Over the years, however, the rising cost of fireworks has made it increasingly difficult to cover that expense through event proceeds alone," according to the post.
Last year, the 20-minute display cost $8,500 and had to be supplemented from the hose company's reserves, and this year the quoted price was $12,500. Searches for other operators only turned up higher prices reaching as much as $17,500.
More than 90 percent of fireworks are imported from China and prices have risen dramatically largely because of high tariffs. The National Fireworks Association said in February that the "fluctuating tariff layers and duty rate increases" have been exceeding 30 percent.
The decision to cancel this year was made at the Hoosac Hose Company's quarterly business meeting on Monday. The post states the vote was unanimous.
"The generosity of the public and our business sponsors has been tremendous, and we want to remain good stewards of your donations," the post states. "The cost of this year's fireworks display would have completely negated not only the funds raised at Cruz Nite, but also the proceeds from our recent fundraising drive, pancake breakfast, and ice fishing derby combined."
The company supplements the Fire Department and has in recent years has purchased the members dress uniforms and snowmobile for winter rescues.
"Your donations have made those purchases, and countless other benefits to the department, possible. We know how essential it is to preserve our funds for future critical needs, and are making decisions with that knowledge in mind.
"We are also mindful of our volunteers and the time they dedicate to our community. As the number of active firefighters and emergency responders has declined — similar to many other departments — the number of emergency calls has continued to increase. Our department is working to find a healthy balance between fundraising efforts and supporting the volunteers our community depends upon.
"Please know how deeply appreciative we are of all you do to support the Hoosac Hose Company and Cheshire Fire Department. We are incredibly proud of our community, our dedicated volunteers, and their families. Thank you!"
If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.
Your Comments
iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue. Name-calling, personal attacks, libel, slander or foul language is not allowed. All comments are reviewed before posting and will be deleted or edited as necessary.
No Comments
Adams Selectmen Vote No Special Election for Vacant Seat
By Sabrina DammsiBerkshires Staff
ADAMS, Mass. — The vacant selectman seat will remain open until the next annual election, unless voters petition for a special town election.
Just days following the town's annual election, which resulted in Kelly Rice defeating incumbent Christine Hoyt, longtime Selectman John Duval abruptly resigned two years into his three-year term.
During Wednesday's Selectmen meeting, the board decided to hold off on filling the fifth seat until next year, favoring conserving costs.
With this decision, the seat will appear as a three-year term on the 2027 annual town election ballot, as part of the regular election cycle for the Board of Selectmen.
Based on the figures from the special election the town had for the McCann Technical School project, the estimated to cost was between $5,800 to $6,000, or more depending on various factors including timing and postage, Town Clerk Haley Meczywor said.
"I am currently by myself in the office. I am very fortunate to have staff within Town Hall that have been very, very kind to me and do step up to the plate to help when they can," she said.
"And if needed, if it's the board's wishes to run a special election, my office will step up to the plate and certainly get it done."
The Fire District has established the role of "support person" in its policies to allow firefighters age 65 and older to continue service, but with restrictions. click for more
Brooke Harrington scored four goals, and Abigail Rodhouse had a hat trick as Wahconah won its second straight Western Mass title and the rubber match against the Mounties in the third one-goal game between the teams this spring. click for more
There are many unknowns in developing short-term rental regulations, but one thing is clear: the Planning Board needs community input, especially from short-term rental operators. click for more