Ludlow Boys Score Late to Edge Mount Greylock

By Kevin Sports
Print Story | Email Story
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. — The Ludlow boys soccer team Friday night scored late to earn a 2-1 win over Mount Greylock.
“Another tough, tough loss to a Division 1 team,” Mounties coach Blair Dils said. “We did well to equalize after their early goal, but they stepped up their pressure in the second half."
"It's not hard to see why they have one loss on the season."
On paper you would expect a good hard fought match between these two teams, and that is exactly what you got. Ludlow (12-1-3) started the game off fast with a early opportunity that it did not squander. After a play on the goalie, the ball was deflected back and passed wide for an open net header by Jared Leroux to give the Lions the early 1-0 lead.
Rather than sit back and absorb more pressure, Mount Greylock (7-4-2) found itself in Ludlow’s final third throughout the first half. Its first chance came only eight minutes after it conceded with Sam Dils getting a good shot off of a throw-in.
That same pressure put Mount Greylock level after a flick from Dils went past goalkeeper Alec Albright. Brady Foehl had the assist.
Mount Greylock continued to pressure Ludlow, controlling most of the possession in the half. Ludlow countered with a few good chances from long balls out of the back, but nothing serious enough to get by David Falk (eight saves). Late in the first half, Mount Greylock had another great opportunity to put them up a goal, but a nice read and punch out from Albright kept Ludlow level. The half-time score stayed at one apiece.
Second half action saw the game played mostly in Ludlow’s final third as they seemed to be the sharper team coming out of the break. Ludlow stepped up the pressure and was able to keep the ball. The first real chance came from a bad goal-kick that went straight to Ludlow, who then pushed a shot wide of the net. The next play Ludlow sent in a nice cross, but the Mount Greylock defense held strong and cleared its lines.
It wasn’t until 10 minutes left in the game before Mount Greylock generated its first strong opportunity in the second half, forcing a diving tip save from the keeper.
Finally with four minutes left on the clock, Ludlow got the goal they were looking for with a nice ball played down the line. The Lions crossed it in and off of the deflected shot it fell right to Mike Tuck, who placed it past the keeper for the goal. It was a well deserved goal as they looked like the more dangerous team all half. Ludlow eventually got one more chance that hit the bar before the game ended 2-1.
Mount Greylock will look to bounce back after a tough match on Tuesday as they host Wahconah.
"We have senior night on Tuesday against Wahconah, and if we're able to come through, we'll wrap up the North title,” Dils said. “I expect the boys will be highly motivated for the game."
Print Story | Email Story