The former Pepe's and Johnny's Beach Club has been sold to Suzanne Chung.
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — The former Johnny's Beach Club has been sold and will become a Mexican restaurant.
Attorney Jeff Lynch reported to the Licensing Board on Monday that Wahconah Street LLC. has purchased the bar and will turn it into a restaurant.
The secretary of state's office shows Suzanne Chung, a partner with numerous restaurants including Jae's Bistro, as one of the signatories as well as Oscar Amaya.
"They have a long-term plan of renovation to that building and re-opening that space as a restaurant," Lynch said.
Lynch expects renovation to last nine to 10 months. Wahconah Street LLC has also purchased adjacent residential properties with the intent to renovate those. Those are one- or two-family homes and the company has reached a lease-to-own deal for them.
According to land records, John Giardina sold the property on Feb. 13 to Wahconah Street LLC for $174,000.
Johnny's Beach Club has had a trying history recently when it comes to the Licensing Board. It has faced multiple sanctions over the years for various incidents and Giardina has been attempting to sell the bar for a number of years.
Chung, meanwhile, has been making multiple investments in the city of Pittsfield. She also owns 7 Winter Grill and fairly recently opened Vong's, a Thai restaurant located at the end of the same block as Johnny's Beach Club.
7 Winter Grill is set to become Jae's Asian Bistro, with the Chungs planning to move the Lenox restaurant there. But the owners are facing yet another challenge when it comes to getting a certificate of occupancy.
The restaurant has been closed for two years now and building inspectors had previously forced the construction of an elevator before it could reopen. That has been completed but Lynch says now the building inspector is demanding a new handicapped bathroom be installed on the second floor and there is a question about whether or not a performance stage on the second floor also needs to be handicapped accessible.
"The lift we have been talking about for some time has been signed off on," Lynch said.
But "we will not be able to get the certificate of occupancy to occupy either floor until the bathroom is built and the stage issue is addressed," he said.
The Winter Street restaurant had been owned and operated as Mazzeo's Ristorante for many years until that restaurant moved to South Street. The Chungs purchased the building nearly four years and opened the steakhouse, closing for renovations a couple years later. They had hoped to move Jae's Bistro from Lenox to the location last fall but still needs that certificate of occupancy.
"They've given their notice in Lenox, they are ready to open. We feel a little bit stuck right now," Lynch said.
Lynch said an application has been made to install the bathroom, which will only take a few weeks after the permit is issued, but he and his client is waiting on word about the stage, which could be more costly and time-consuming if it is determined a ramp is needed.
Lynch says the first floor, where the restaurant will be, is ready to go and the further delays are hurting his client's income. He said customers in Lenox are now not sure if he is still open.
"My client is ready to move and open up this restaurant," he said. "It is not helping my client to not be able to open in Pittsfield."
The Licensing Board has been keeping an eye on the process. The liquor license is currently inactive and the board is charged with trying to ensure there are no "pocket licenses." The city is limited to the number of all-alcohol liquor licenses it can issue to restaurants and the board wants to make sure those are being used.
"I just hope I am not sitting here in June 2017 and it is still not opening. It will be close to a year and there is a lot of pressure on us about pocket licenses," said Licensing Board member Richard Stockwell.
Lynch has been before the board repeatedly over the years providing updates, which member Thomas Campoli appreciates.
"My take on this is your client has been working on this, you have been keeping us apprised of what is going on, and that's a great thing," Campoli said.
If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.
Your Comments
iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue. Name-calling, personal attacks, libel, slander or foul language is not allowed. All comments are reviewed before posting and will be deleted or edited as necessary.
No Comments
Pittsfield Families Frustrated Over Unreleased PHS Report, Herberg Slur Incident
By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Parents are expressing their frustration with hate speech, bullying, and staff misconduct, which they said happens in Pittsfield schools.
Community members and some elected officials have consistently advocated for the release of the redacted Pittsfield High School investigation report, and a teacher being placed on leave for allegedly repeating racist and homophobic slurs sparked a community conversation about how Pittsfield Public Schools can address injustices.
The district's human resources director detailed the investigation processes during last week's School Committee meeting.
"People are angry. They feel like when they spoke up about Morningside School, it was closed anyway. They feel like they speak up about the PHS report, and that's just kind of getting shoved under the rug," resident Brenda Coddington said during public comment.
"I mean, when do people who actually voted for all of you, by the way, when does their voice and opinion count and matter? Because you can sit up here all day long and say that it does, but your actions, or rather lack of action, speak volumes."
Three administrators and two teachers, past and present, were investigated by Bulkley Richardson and Gelinas LLP for a range of allegations that surfaced or re-surfaced at the end of 2024 after Pittsfield High's former dean of students was arrested and charged by the U.S. Attorney's Office for allegedly conspiring to traffic large quantities of cocaine in Western Massachusetts.
Executive summaries were released that concluded the claims of inappropriate conduct between teachers and students were "unsupported." Ward 7 Councilor Katherine Moody countered one of the unsupported determinations, writing on Facebook last week that she knows one person can conclude with confidence and a court case that pictures of the staff member's genitalia was sent to minors.
"During this investigation, we sought to determine the validity of allegations about PHS Administrator #2 sharing a photograph of female genitalia with PHS students on her Snapchat account," the final executive summary reads.
Brooke Harrington scored four goals, and Abigail Rodhouse had a hat trick as Wahconah won its second straight Western Mass title and the rubber match against the Mounties in the third one-goal game between the teams this spring. click for more
Parents are expressing their frustration with hate speech, bullying, and staff misconduct, which they said happens in Pittsfield schools. click for more
Bei Tempi has been accused of underage service by two different parents in the past year, and promised to run IDs through an authenticator to ensure their patrons are of age. click for more
Site 9 in the William Stanley Business Park has been cleared for more uses — but small businesses can't afford the development and contamination could be scaring big ones off. click for more
Downtown Pittsfield Inc.'s annual Community Award recognized the collaborative efforts toward finding solutions to homelessness in the city. click for more