Former Olympian Receives Additional Indictments

Print Story | Email Story
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Last week, a Berkshire County Grand Jury returned indictments against Conrad Mainwaring, 69, on four additional charges, three counts of indecent assault and battery on a person who has attained age 14 and one count of indecent assault and battery on a child under the age of 14 after investigators identified two more victims.
 
The court is currently detaining Mainwaring at the Berkshire County House of Correction on $200,000 bail on 12 counts of indecent assault and battery – nine counts of indecent assault and battery on a child who has attained age 14 and three counts of indecent assault and battery on a child under the age of 14.
 
Berkshire Superior Court will arraign Conrad Mainwaring on the additional charges on Aug. 5. In total, Mainwaring is facing 16 total counts of indecent assault and battery on nine victims.
 
"The State Police continue to work diligently on this case. We thank the victims for their courage to come forward and to inspire others to speak out. To any other victims out there, we will believe you, and we will fight for justice for you." District Attorney Andrea Harrington said.
 
The Berkshire State Police Detective Unit assigned to the Berkshire District Attorney's Office began an investigation into the allegations reported by ESPN that Mainwaring used his position of trust to coerce teenage boys into sexual conduct.
 
 Investigators initially identified seven victims from Camp Greylock in Becket in the 1970s. In January, the Berkshire District Attorney's Office secured indictments on behalf of those victims, and Los Angeles Police arrested Mainwaring on the fugitive from justice warrant in March, with Mainwaring subsequently waiving rendition.
 
State Police investigators created a dedicated phone line for any additional victims or witnesses, which continues to be operational. Victims and witnesses are encouraged to contact investigators at 413-449-5863.
 
0 Comments
iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue; please keep comments focused on the issues and not on personalities. Profanity, obscenity, racist language and harassment are not allowed. iBerkshires reserves the right to ban commenters or remove commenting on any article at any time. Concerns may be sent to info@iberkshires.com.

Pittsfield Man Charged in Second Fire at White Terrace Building

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — A Pittsfield man is being charged with arson after firefighters responded Thursday to a second blaze at the large apartment building on White Terrace and North Street.
 
Police say Joseph Stone, 43 was taken into custody on Thursday and will be arraigned on Friday in District Court on a single charge of arson.
 
The fire was called in at about 2:17 p.m. on Thursday at 8 White Terrace. Firefighters were quickly able to extinguish the fire, though the building did suffer damage. No injuries were reported and the investigation led to Stone, said police.
 
The vacant building was the site of a major structure fire on Wednesday, Sept. 8, at 6 White Terrace, the neighboring building. The multi-apartment structures have been vacant since another major fire in 2017 that was deemed accidental.
View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories