Police Advisory Board Plans Listening Session with Community

By Brittany PolitoPrint Story | Email Story
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — The Police Advisory and Review Board plans to host a listening session in February to engage with the community.
 
"I think we all have come to the conclusion that somehow this board needs to connect with the community most affected, correct?" Chair Ellen Maxon asked the Police Advisory and Review Board (PARB) last week. "We have not done that in part because of COVID. I mean… it's almost two years now guys, and…I think us trying to figure out who we are, what we are, what we can and can't do."
 
The meeting will likely take place during the first or third week of February from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the First Baptist Church on South Street.  Details will be finalized at the board's January meeting.
 
For nearly two years, PARB has shared its frustration with its inability to communicate with the public during the pandemic.
 
The panel originally looked at amending its governing ordinance for clarity and empowerment, however, after two single-topic subcommittee meetings, the amendment was decided against.
 
Instead, a memorandum was written that addressed issues with PARB's purpose and effectiveness The memorandum offered suggestions for better courses of action.  It was sent to Mayor Linda Tyer and the City Council, both of whom have not responded yet.
 
The memorandum stressed that the panel needed to hear from the public more.
 
In November, Maxon decided that PARB meetings will follow a different format for the next six months with the hope of improving outreach.
 
In the months when there are no policing cases to review, Maxon wanted meetings to be informally structured and, hopefully, an open discussion with the community.
 
She planned on beginning this format in December but due to COVID-19 pandemic circumstances, December's meeting was virtual.
 
The panel continues to meet over the Zoom platform but plan to break that streak for this upcoming session, which will be informal and unrecorded so that the public is not intimidated.
 
Vice-Chair Michael Feldberg highlighted the group's recent uncertainty of purpose and a need to act together in this new strategy.
 
"I feel like we're in a state of flux, a state of uncertainty of our mission and about the validity of our existence," he said. "And I think if we are to go out into the community and invite the community to communicate to us that we need to do a lot of groundwork first, and we need a lot of clarification about whether we all agree and are committed to this as a new strategy, and not just a one-time thing."
 
Maxon said she was happy to see the listening session come to fruition but was the only member present at the meeting who felt uncomfortable returning to in-person meetings.
 
City Hall and the Berkshire Antheneum were ruled out as locations for the listening session because PARB did not want the meeting to feel like an official city meeting that would possibly deter people.   PARB members felt that more people would feel free to share feedback at the church.
 
Feldberg, Judge Alfred Barbalunga, Sullivan, and Re. Sheila Sholes-Ross agreed to be present at the meeting.  Sholes-Ross is the Reverend of the First Baptist Church.
 
Sholes-Ross said she wanted to get to the bottom of why PARB isn't being utilized and build trust.
 
"The bottom line is the outcomes," Sholes-Ross said. "What are we hoping to establish from the
meetings? The one thing I was hoping that it would begin the foundational piece of building trust with the community."
 
Member Rev. Sloan T. Letman, IV pointed out that it is important for the community to also "act in good faith" with PARB to have constructive communication.
 
This meeting will also be a trial run for the future operation of the board, as the board will be down to three members after Feb. 26 Maxon, Feldberg, and Erin Sullivan.
 

Tags: police advisory,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Suspect Arraigned in 'Horrific' Dragging Case

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

Complete write-thru 3 p.m., Feb. 18.


District Attorney TimothyShugrue says the community has been 'really upset' by this case. 
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — A Hancock man has been charged in last week's gruesome dragging that killed 69-year-old William Colbert. 
 
William Gross, 65, was arraigned in Central Berkshire District Court on Wednesday for negligent motor vehicle homicide and leaving the scene. He was arrested Monday after police investigators narrowed down the type of car seen on video at the accident scene. 
 
Police say Colbert had fallen in the road at the Francis Avenue and Linden Street intersection on Feb. 10 before he was struck and dragged nearly four miles. His body was found on West Housatonic Street.
 
Gross is being held on $250,000 cash bail in the Berkshire County House of Corrections. District Attorney Timothy Shugrue said the case will go to a grand jury and foresees additional charges being placed. 
 
"I think this community was really upset by this case," Shugrue said while being interviewed by the press after the morning arraignment.  
 
"It's a horrific case, and the fact that someone was fleeing, and there was someone that was stuck there that could have been treated, and potentially in the initial stages, could have been potentially saved." 
 
Colbert was coming from a house on Francis Avenue about 11:30 on Feb. 10 when fell in the road and had trouble getting up, according to Shugrue. 
 
View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories