Appleton Ave. Fire Caused by Candle, Aquarium

Print Story | Email Story
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Firefighters responded to a minor fire at 124-126 Appleton Ave that caused fire and smoke damage in a first-floor apartment.
 
Firefighters responded to the fire on Monday, June 22 at 12:30 am on. The caller reported that the two-story, four-family home was filling up with smoke.
 
Upon arrival, the inhabitants were actively evacuating. Firefighters were directed to a downstairs apartment to find a resident who was not answering pleas to evacuate.
 
When firefighters entered the apartment they found the resident trying to extinguish a fire with black smoke form floor to ceiling.
 
The resident was immediately taken to safety, and it was discovered that the source of the smoke was coming from the top of an aquarium. The resident had fallen asleep with a candle burning atop his aquarium. The candle melted and ignited the plastic top of the aquarium.
 
The candle eventually burned through the top of the aquarium and self-extinguished when it fell into the water. However, before this, it filled the first and second-floor apartments with thick black smoke.
 
Residents in the other apartments happened to be awake and were alerted by detectors. They immediately tried to wake other tenants after calling 911.
 
Firefighters assisted with salvage and ventilation
 
The tenant inhaled smoke and was evaluated but refused treatment and transport. 
 
The Red Cross assisted the one Tennent with alternate housing. The other tenets were allowed to return home. 
 

Tags: fire,   

Comments
iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue; please keep comments focused on the issues and not on personalities. Profanity, obscenity, racist language and harassment are not allowed. iBerkshires reserves the right to ban commenters or remove commenting on any article at any time. Concerns may be sent to info@iberkshires.com.

Pittsfield OK's Alcohol License Transfer to Camp Arrow Wood

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Despite pushback from neighbors, the Licensing Board on Monday approved a liquor license transfer from a long-shuttered restaurant to Camp Arrow Wood located on Cloverdale Street.

The unanimous vote changed the location, manager, and management/operating agreement from The Elbow Room to the camp, which is a venture of Mill Town Capital. The Elbow Room has been closed for about five years.

It was approved in October 2021 but was kicked back by the Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission because the transfer also required a change of location and public notice to abutters, which was provided in mid-June.

Residents of Cloverdale Street expressed safety concerns pertaining to the property having a liquor license, saying the neighborhood is a quiet place that they don't want to be disrupted by unruly patrons.

"Cloverdale Street is a quiet, peaceful, rural neighborhood. Allowing alcohol to be sold in this camp would decrease our property values, would increase traffic, and more importantly, destroy the character of the neighborhood," a resident said.

View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories