Vermont Man Being Held on $250K Bail in Son's Death

Print Story | Email Story
NORTH ADAMS, Mass. — A Vermont man accused in the death of his 3-year-old son following a weekend accident in Clarksburg pleaded not guilty on Monday morning to numerous charges. 
 
Darrel Galorenzo, 35, of Readsboro was arraigned in Northern Berkshire District Court on charges of manslaughter, reckless endangerment of a child, negligent operation of a motor vehicle (operating to endanger) and operating under the influence.
 
The defense requested $5,000 bail but Judge Janine Simonian set bail at District Attorney Timothy Shugrue's request of $250,000 cash. Galorenzo had been held by State Police at the Cheshire barracks on $100,000 bail since Saturday.
 
A pretrial conference will occur in Northern Berkshire District Court on May 8. Shugrue said the case will be presented to a grand jury.
 
Galorenzo was involved in a rollover motor vehicle accident about 2 a.m. on Saturday morning. The car he was in, a Volvo, smashed into a utility pole near 443 Middle Road. Police say he tried to flee the scene with his son and entered nearby Hudson Brook and lost the boy. The brook flows alongside Middle Road and the waters are currently high from snow melt. 
 
The boy was found by searchers more than a half-mile away at about 2:20 p.m. A trooper and firefighters pulled the toddler from the brook and EMTs began immediate emergency first-aid on scene for drowning injuries. The child was pronounced dead at Berkshire Medical Center in North Adams. 

Tags: fatal,   manslaughter,   MVI,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

North Adams Unveils Hometown Heroes Banners

By Jack GuerinoiBerkshires Staff

Carol Ethier-Kipp holds up the first aid kit her father used as an Army medic in World War II. See more photos here. 
NORTH ADAMS, Mass. — The City of North Adams honored its own on Friday afternoon, unveiling 50 downtown street banners representing local veterans who served — and continue to serve — the community and the country.
 
More than 300 residents packed the front lawn of City Hall as the community took a moment to reflect on its "Hometown Heroes" during the morning unveiling ceremony.
 
"In a city like North Adams, service is personal. The men and women we honor today are not strangers to us. They are our neighbors, our classmates, our parents, our grandparents," Mayor Jennifer Macksey told the crowd. "... These banners are far more than names and pictures hanging along our streets. They are visible reminders of the values that define North Adams: courage, sacrifice, humility, duty, resilience, and the love of country. They remind every person who passes by that this community remembers our veterans."
 
The banner program launched exactly a year ago. Veterans Services Agent Kurtis Durocher opened applications in October and spent the next six months working with families to bring the project to Main Street and over the Hadley Overpass. 
 
"We gather to recognize the brave men and women from our community who have served or who are currently serving in the United States armed forces," Durocher said. "These banners are more than images. They bear a tribute to service, sacrifice, courage, and pride, and they remind us that the freedoms we enjoy every day have been protected by our neighbors, family members, friends, and Hometown Heroes."
 
Each banner features a portrait of a veteran alongside their military branch and dates of service.
 
Durocher noted that the program was something residents clearly wanted, pointing to how fast applications flooded his desk. He praised the volunteers who stepped up to get the banners made and displayed — including city firefighters and Mitchell Meranti of Wire & Alarm Department, who were installing them as late as Thursday night.
 
View Full Story

More North Adams Stories