image description
A melee that broke out at Sportsman's Cafe won't result in any penalties for the bar after the Licensing Board determined its staff acted appropriately.

Pittsfield Board Says Club Responded Properly to 'Melee'

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff
Print Story | Email Story

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — The Licensing Board chose not to penalize a Peck's Road bar for a melee that resulted in one arrest.

The panel voted Monday to file a show-cause hearing for the Sportsman's Cafe following a large fight on Dec. 10. It was determined that the owners responded appropriately.

"This is the first incident for this owner of the bar. I think they took appropriate action to remove the individual from the premises," board member Jody Phillips said.

"Unfortunately, you couldn't control what happened outside afterward."

Around 12:50 a.m. that Sunday, several officers responded to the Sportsman's for a report of a fight between 10 to 20 people outside. When officers arrived, they saw about 10 people between the bar and the parking lot across the street.

After speaking to witnesses and involved parties, the police concluded that an assault had taken place between a man and his girlfriend, the disturbance then spread between the man and others within the bar and then moved outside and across the street.

"The incident was brought to my attention and has resulted in me bringing forth this request for a show cause hearing before the board," Lt. Matthew Hill explained.

Co-owner Jonathan Griffin explained that his partner Mike Martino was at the bar until midnight and when he left there were two doormen and a bartender.

"This guy ended up attacking his own fiancée. He ended up punching her in the face several times," Griffin said, adding that the man was reportedly from out of town and was not recognized.



In response, the staff worked to remove the man from the establishment. At one point, one of his friends attacked one of the security guards, which resulted in an arrest and charges.

"Once he started attacking my security guy, a couple of customers tried to intervene to try to help, which didn't really help," Griffin said. "And then it just, like I said it turned into a melee."

The tapes from that night were reviewed with staff and they spoke about ways to better handle the situation, he added, and they are feeling better prepared.

Officers reported that they could control the scene and everyone separated pretty well, eventually dispersing to their cars across the street. When the first officer arrived, he reported that about 10 individuals were "blocking Peck's Road" from the front of the bar to the parking lot arguing.

Board member Kathy Amuso said that sometimes licensees come before the board and they don't seem to take responsibility, and while she believes things did get out of hand, the response was appropriate.

"I think the fact that the security guard at least tried to get the guy outside of the building, which was the responsible thing to do," board member Dennis Powell said.

Also on Monday, the board filed a show cause hearing for Thistle and Mirth after a stabbing on Thanksgiving Eve. Since the incident, the owners rebranded and reduced hours to curb that behavior and the board was satisfied with the actions taken.


Tags: license board,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Lanesborough Board OKs Budget, Warrant Article Changes

By Breanna SteeleiBerkshires Staff

LANESBOROUGH, Mass. — The Select Board  last week approved the fiscal 2027 draft budget and made slight changes in the warrant articles impending town vote.

The proposed spending plan has an increase of a little over 10 percent. Some of the main budget increases are the Mount Greylock Regional School District and McCann Technical School: the McCann assessment is up more than 30 percent based on factors including enrollment and the renovation project, and Mount Greylock's is up 11 percent.

Another notable increase was in the life and health insurance, showing an increase of about 26 percent.

"I'd like everybody to know that the Town Hall staff, everybody, the Police Department, Fire Department, the DPW, they really looked over their budgets and went down to bare bones. I want to give them credit for that, because I think the townspeople should know that we are not only as a Select Board, as a town administrator, we are all looking to keep our taxes within a reasonable amount," said Chair Deborah Maynard.

"And I want you all to realize that the town staff and the departments have really brought their budgets down to bare bones. And I'm making this because the school department, in my opinion, and this is my opinion only, has not done their due diligence in bringing their budget under control over a 10 percent increase. I think regardless of what the insurance went up, I still think that they could have cut their budget a little more."

Maynard was the only no vote in endorsing the budget. 

The free cash warrant articles for the annual town meeting were approved with a couple of changes since last meeting.

The board added the transfer of $1,200 from free cash to purchase software to support tracking and ongoing maintenance schedules of all town-owned vehicles.

Instead of transferring $200,000 from free cash for the replacement of a fire engine, voters instead will be asked to transfer $380,000 from the fire truck stabilization fund and authorize the treasurer to borrow up to $700,000 with approval from the Select Board.

An article asking to increase the Zoning Board of Appeals membership from three to five members was  withdrawn as board member Michael Murphy felt it was not needed anymore.

Other changes was withdrawal of free cash article of $3,200 for the Assessors WebPro online search software after public comment from Barbara Hassan addressed a miscommunication with the assessors property card format. Officials want to find another way to get the information that will not cost the town.

The annual town meeting is Tuesday, June 9, at 6 p.m. Lanesborough Elementary School. The annual town election will take place June 16 at Town Hall with polls open noon until 8 p.m.

In other business, solar developer Kirt Mayland updated the board about the solar array project at Old Orebed Road and the work with EDF Power Solutions, which was the highest bidder on the project in 2022 and has been working to bring a solar array on the capped landfill.

The group recently finished an interconnection study with Eversource and connected with ISO New England to make sure they did not have any effects on the transmission system. The price was affordable with Eversource and can move forward if allowed.

EDF's last option agreement was terminated in January, and since 2022 it has been paying $5,000 to extend services, looking to extend again with the town. 

View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories