Firewall Glitch Caused Mass 911 Disruption

Print Story | Email Story
MILFORD, Mass. — State officials say a firewall on the 911 emergency system prevented calls from getting through on Tuesday, disrupting the system for a couple hours.
 
The interruptions started at about 1:15 p.m. on Tuesday when the State 911 Department became aware of the situation. The disruption lasted approximately two hours until operation was fully restored at 3:15 p.m.
 
Although some calls may not have gone through, the system allows dispatch centers to identify the phone number of callers and return those calls, according to a statement from the department. The department has not received any reports of emergencies impacted during the interruption.
 
In 2023, the state's 204 Public Safety Answering Points received a total average of 8,800 calls a day.
 
The agency moved to address the technical issue with 911 vendor Comtech while alerting local law enforcement through a statewide broadcast network and connecting with the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency to issue a statewide emergency alert.
 
A preliminary investigation conducted by the State 911 Department and Comtech determined that the outage was the result of a firewall, a safety feature that provides protection against cyberattacks and hacking. The firewall prevented calls from getting to the 911 dispatch centers also known as Public Safety Answer Points (PSAPs). Comtech's initial review of the incident confirmed that the interruption was not the result of a cyberattack or hack; however, the exact reason the firewall stopped calls from reaching dispatch centers remains under review.
 
Comtech advised State 911 that it has applied a technical solution to ensure that this does not happen again. 
 
"The Massachusetts State 911 Department is deeply committed to providing reliable, state-of-the-art 911 services to all Massachusetts residents and visitors in an emergency. The department will take all necessary steps to prevent a future occurrence," said State 911 Executive Director Frank Pozniak. "We are grateful to everyone for their patience and cooperation during the outage."
 
In its press release, the State 911 Department thanked state and local emergency response agencies for their swift response and for working closely with their PSAP to ensure public safety.

Tags: emergency services,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Pittsfield Families Frustrated Over Unreleased PHS Report, Herberg Slur Incident

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Parents are expressing their frustration with hate speech, bullying, and staff misconduct, which they said happens in Pittsfield schools. 

Community members and some elected officials have consistently advocated for the release of the redacted Pittsfield High School investigation report, and a teacher being placed on leave for allegedly repeating racist and homophobic slurs sparked a community conversation about how Pittsfield Public Schools can address injustices. 

The district's human resources director detailed the investigation processes during last week's School Committee meeting.

"People are angry. They feel like when they spoke up about Morningside School, it was closed anyway. They feel like they speak up about the PHS report, and that's just kind of getting shoved under the rug," resident Brenda Coddington said during public comment.

"I mean, when do people who actually voted for all of you, by the way, when does their voice and opinion count and matter? Because you can sit up here all day long and say that it does, but your actions, or rather lack of action, speak volumes."

Last month, School Committee member Ciara Batory demanded a date for the 2025 report's release to the public.

Three administrators and two teachers, past and present, were investigated by Bulkley Richardson and Gelinas LLP for a range of allegations that surfaced or re-surfaced at the end of 2024 after Pittsfield High's former dean of students was arrested and charged by the U.S. Attorney's Office for allegedly conspiring to traffic large quantities of cocaine in Western Massachusetts.

Executive summaries were released that concluded the claims of inappropriate conduct between teachers and students were "unsupported." Ward 7 Councilor Katherine Moody countered one of the unsupported determinations, writing on Facebook last week that she knows one person can conclude with confidence and a court case that pictures of the staff member's genitalia was sent to minors. 

"During this investigation, we sought to determine the validity of allegations about PHS Administrator #2 sharing a photograph of female genitalia with PHS students on her Snapchat account," the final executive summary reads. 

View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories