Household Hazardous Waste Collection Planned for Pittsfield

Print Story | Email Story
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — A household hazardous waste collection, organized by the City of Pittsfield will be held on Saturday, Nov. 2 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. 
 
Those interested must pre-register to drop off designated household hazardous waste items. No walk-ins will be allowed.
 
The collection will be held at the city’s Highway Facility, 81 Hawthorne Avenue. Participants are asked to utilize the rear entrance on Hawthorne Avenue not the entrance from West Housatonic Street.
 
Online pre-registration is required by midnight on October 25 and can be accessed here:
 
Please review the complete list of accepted and unaccepted items prior to registering.
 
As space is limited, participants will select a 30-minute appointment window for drop-off. Patrons are asked to place materials in the trunk of their vehicles. Additionally, for safety purposes, participants are asked to remain in their vehicles and refrain from smoking for the duration of the visit.
 
Additional instructions will be provided to registered participants.
 
A wide range of unwanted household products with labels indicating the need for special handling or disposal will be accepted, as well as rechargeable button and other non-alkaline batteries, and mercury- bearing thermostats and thermometers.
 
Residents without computer access may call the Department of Public Utilities at (413) 499-9330 for registration assistance.

Tags: hazardous waste,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Suspect Arraigned in 'Horrific' Dragging Case

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

Complete write-thru 3 p.m., Feb. 18.


District Attorney TimothyShugrue says the community has been 'really upset' by this case. 
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — A Hancock man has been charged in last week's gruesome dragging that killed 69-year-old William Colbert. 
 
William Gross, 65, was arraigned in Central Berkshire District Court on Wednesday for negligent motor vehicle homicide and leaving the scene. He was arrested Monday after police investigators narrowed down the type of car seen on video at the accident scene. 
 
Police say Colbert had fallen in the road at the Francis Avenue and Linden Street intersection on Feb. 10 before he was struck and dragged nearly four miles. His body was found on West Housatonic Street.
 
Gross is being held on $250,000 cash bail in the Berkshire County House of Corrections. District Attorney Timothy Shugrue said the case will go to a grand jury and foresees additional charges being placed. 
 
"I think this community was really upset by this case," Shugrue said while being interviewed by the press after the morning arraignment.  
 
"It's a horrific case, and the fact that someone was fleeing, and there was someone that was stuck there that could have been treated, and potentially in the initial stages, could have been potentially saved." 
 
Colbert was coming from a house on Francis Avenue about 11:30 on Feb. 10 when fell in the road and had trouble getting up, according to Shugrue. 
 
View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories