Berkshire Fire Departments Awarded Funding for Equipment, Education

Print Story | Email Story

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Several fire departments across Berkshire County have been awarded state grants totaling over $70,000 as part of a $3.2 million statewide fire safety initiative announced by the Healey-Driscoll Administration.

The funding aims to enhance firefighter safety through equipment upgrades and bolster fire safety education programs for children and seniors.

The grants stem from three programs managed by the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services (DFS): the Firefighter Safety Equipment Grant Program, the Student Awareness of Fire Education (SAFE) Grant Program, and the Senior SAFE Grant Program.

"Massachusetts firefighters do much more than fight fires – they’re our first line of defense in any emergency," said Governor Maura Healey in the announcement. "These grants will help firefighters protect themselves from injury and illness, rescue people in danger, and keep our most vulnerable residents safe from fires and other hazards at home."

Firefighter Safety Equipment Grants

Fourteen Berkshire County fire departments or districts received a total of $51,392.80 through the Firefighter Safety Equipment Grant Program. This program provides reimbursement for essential gear such as turnout gear, hazardous gas meters, thermal imaging cameras, and other equipment needed to meet safety standards set by the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) or the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).

Berkshire County recipients of the FY25 Firefighter Safety Equipment Grants are:

  • Adams Fire District: $3,370.97

  • Town of Clarksburg: $1,565.23

  • Dalton Fire District: $6,888.40

  • Town of Egremont: $2,516.86

  • Town of Lanesborough: $1,875.00

  • Town of Lee: $7,459.00

  • Town of Lenox: $7,700.00

  • Town of New Ashford: $5,250.00

  • City of North Adams: $3,604.32

  • City of Pittsfield: $12,500.00

  • Town of Richmond: $2,531.56

  • Town of Savoy: $2,185.19

  • Town of Sheffield: $2,371.27

  • Town of Stockbridge: $1,575.00

SAFE and Senior SAFE Grants

Three Berkshire County communities were awarded a combined $21,813.34 through the SAFE and Senior SAFE programs, which focus on preventative education.

The SAFE program funds firefighter-educators who teach fire safety to school-aged children. The Senior SAFE program, aimed at residents 65 and older, supports initiatives like smoke and carbon monoxide alarm installation, home safety assessments, and fall prevention strategies, often in partnership with local senior centers or councils on aging.

"People aged 65 and older are at greatest risk of death or serious injury in a fire at home," said State Fire Marshal Jon M. Davine. "The Senior SAFE grants make a difference by sending trained firefighters to conduct home safety assessments... and help our seniors age in place safely and independently."

Berkshire County recipients of the FY25 SAFE and Senior SAFE Grants are:

  • Town of Lanesborough:

    • SAFE Program: $3,599.00

    • Senior SAFE Program: $1,800.00

  • City of North Adams:

    • SAFE Program: $4,415.44

    • Senior SAFE Program: $2,198.90

  • City of Pittsfield:

    • SAFE Program: $7,200.00

    • Senior SAFE Program: $2,600.00

Statewide, the Firefighter Safety Equipment Grant program awarded $1.63 million to 266 communities, the SAFE program provided over $1.1 million to 204 departments, and the Senior SAFE program distributed nearly $485,000 to 203 departments.


Tags: fire safety,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Suspect Arraigned in 'Horrific' Dragging Case

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

Complete write-thru 3 p.m., Feb. 18.


District Attorney TimothyShugrue says the community has been 'really upset' by this case. 
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — A Hancock man has been charged in last week's gruesome dragging that killed 69-year-old William Colbert. 
 
William Gross, 65, was arraigned in Central Berkshire District Court on Wednesday for negligent motor vehicle homicide and leaving the scene. He was arrested Monday after police investigators narrowed down the type of car seen on video at the accident scene. 
 
Police say Colbert had fallen in the road at the Francis Avenue and Linden Street intersection on Feb. 10 before he was struck and dragged nearly four miles. His body was found on West Housatonic Street.
 
Gross is being held on $250,000 cash bail in the Berkshire County House of Corrections. District Attorney Timothy Shugrue said the case will go to a grand jury and foresees additional charges being placed. 
 
"I think this community was really upset by this case," Shugrue said while being interviewed by the press after the morning arraignment.  
 
"It's a horrific case, and the fact that someone was fleeing, and there was someone that was stuck there that could have been treated, and potentially in the initial stages, could have been potentially saved." 
 
Colbert was coming from a house on Francis Avenue about 11:30 on Feb. 10 when fell in the road and had trouble getting up, according to Shugrue. 
 
View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories