The annual Cruz Nite & Fireworks has been a Cheshire tradition for 30 years. The Hoosac Hose Company, which puts on the event, says it can't cover the cost for fireworks.
Rising Cost of Fireworks Cancels Display at Cheshire Cruz Nite
"Due to the tremendous outpouring of community support and enthusiasm, we are thrilled to announce that we have officially decided to move forward with our annual Cruz Nite!!" the Fire Department post on its Facebook page on Thursday. "Although we still won’t have fireworks at the event, your messages and shared memories from years past made us realize that gathering together is what Cruz Nite is all about."
The event is scheduled for Aug. 8, with a rain date of Aug. 9.
CHESHIRE, Mass. — The annual Cruz Nite is pausing after 35 years because of rising costs.
In a post on Facebook post on Wednesday, the Cheshire Fire Department said the company, "after much consideration, has made the difficult decision to cancel our annual Cruz Nite and Fireworks event for 2026. This pause will allow us time to regroup and determine the best course of action for future events and fundraisers."
The August event has featured activities, food trucks, performers, and fire trucks, with a fireworks finale.
"When Cruz Nite first began, proceeds from the event were enough to cover the cost of the fireworks display. Over the years, however, the rising cost of fireworks has made it increasingly difficult to cover that expense through event proceeds alone," according to the post.
Last year, the 20-minute display cost $8,500 and had to be supplemented from the hose company's reserves, and this year the quoted price was $12,500. Searches for other operators only turned up higher prices reaching as much as $17,500.
More than 90 percent of fireworks are imported from China and prices have risen dramatically largely because of high tariffs. The National Fireworks Association said in February that the "fluctuating tariff layers and duty rate increases" have been exceeding 30 percent.
The decision to cancel this year was made at the Hoosac Hose Company's quarterly business meeting on Monday. The post states the vote was unanimous.
"The generosity of the public and our business sponsors has been tremendous, and we want to remain good stewards of your donations," the post states. "The cost of this year's fireworks display would have completely negated not only the funds raised at Cruz Nite, but also the proceeds from our recent fundraising drive, pancake breakfast, and ice fishing derby combined."
The company supplements the Fire Department and has in recent years has purchased the members dress uniforms and snowmobile for winter rescues.
"Your donations have made those purchases, and countless other benefits to the department, possible. We know how essential it is to preserve our funds for future critical needs, and are making decisions with that knowledge in mind.
"We are also mindful of our volunteers and the time they dedicate to our community. As the number of active firefighters and emergency responders has declined — similar to many other departments — the number of emergency calls has continued to increase. Our department is working to find a healthy balance between fundraising efforts and supporting the volunteers our community depends upon.
"Please know how deeply appreciative we are of all you do to support the Hoosac Hose Company and Cheshire Fire Department. We are incredibly proud of our community, our dedicated volunteers, and their families. Thank you!"
If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.
Your Comments
iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue. Name-calling, personal attacks, libel, slander or foul language is not allowed. All comments are reviewed before posting and will be deleted or edited as necessary.
No Comments
Adams Town Hall's Back Parking Lot Staircase Closed
By Sabrina DammsiBerkshires Staff
ADAMS, Mass. — The staircase behind Town Hall was closed earlier this month as a safety precaution.
The winding staircase features two gazebo-style landings and leads to the rear parking lot, which sits atop a hill overlooking Town Hall.
Town Administrator Nick Caccamo said he closed the staircase out of an abundance of caution because it seems that most of the structure is on borrowed time.
He highlighted several concerns, including multiple staircase footings that are or have been sliding off the concrete pilings, as well as significant erosion underneath the structure.
The timeline for repairs remains unclear. In the meantime, employees can walk down the driveway on the north side of the building and enter through that side.
Visitors are able to park on the street in the front of Town Hall and use the front entrance; there is also handicap parking at the side of the building, behind the bank.
Caccamo was unsure of the age of the staircase but believes that it was built during the Town Hall renovation project.
Wilk-Chaffee joined two of her fellow Beautification Group members in an appearance before the Selectmen to update the elected officials on the non-profit's activities around town and explain its role in town.
click for more
The overhaul of 21 Park St, is complete, with all 10 two-bedroom apartments nearly rented. There are also three units on the second floor available for rent that will be move-in ready in September. click for more
On Wednesday, the select board approved a framework for a candidate screening committee and heard a potential timeline for making a decision to appoint the next leader of the 18-officer department. click for more
As America celebrated its 250th anniversary, Adams looked toward the future by creating a time capsule to preserve pieces of the community for future generations.
click for more
The fundraiser will be held at Turn Hall, 6 Turners Ave., beginning at 5 p.m. with a spaghetti dinner, followed by Santos' performance at 7:30 p.m. click for more