Mount Greylock Boys Rally to Edge Ludlow

By Shannon Sports
Print Story | Email Story
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. -- The Mount Greylock boys soccer team came back twice Friday evening from one-goal deficits against Ludlow.
Fortunately for the Mounties they also came back from their first loss of the eason on Tuesday to take a 3-2 independent win on John T. Allen Field.
"The times you're most vulnerable are right after you score or right after you've been scored on," Mount Greylock coach Blair Dils said. "It was important for us to come right back down and tie it up and not really let them enjoy any of their lead and not let us get in desperation mode or anything like that."
Ludlow opened the scoring five minutes into the game off a free kick taken by Ryder Hastings. He sent it up into the 18, where Evan Jurkowski got a head on it giving them a 1-0 lead.
Greylock challenged throughout the remainder of the first half putting shots on goal; with less than two minutes to go Sam Dils hit the back of the net, but was called offsides resulting in no goal and Ludlow holding a 1-0 lead at halftime.
Dils quickly made up for the offsides, no goal call in the second half. At 37 minutes and 22 seconds Crow Brennan sent a pass to Dils who carried it into the 18; Ludlow goalie Matt Jordan came off his line to challenge him, but he was able to slot it past him and tie the game at one.
Ten minutes later, Ludlow hit the net again, taking their lead back 2-1. Josh Grywalski found Keith Venancio outside the 18, where he fired on net for the goal.
A minute later, Dils put in the equalizer again; Benny McComish set up for a free kick about 10 yards outside of the 18. Dils got a head on it to tie it at two.
"It's an awesome win, coming off a loss on Tuesday, which definitely woke us up," Sam Dils said. "This is great to come back after that especially after a great team like this, we tied them last year so we got a little revenge."
With 23 minutes on the clock after a Greylock timeout, a ball was sent from the right side of the field from Quinn Matthews, Dils attempted to head it in, but came up short. Brennan was there to finish it for the game winning goal.
"I called a timeout and said, we gotta go for the win here and we have to keep pressing," Blair Dils said. "Obviously it worked out pretty well."
The Mounties, now 6-1, have a rematch with Lenox Tuesday evening. Earlier this year, Mount Greylock beat the Millionaires, 2-1.
"They're going to be very hungry for us Tuesday night, it's going to be a really tough game down at their place, but we took a step back on Tuesday [against Pittsfield], but we took a huge step forward today, so we're really excited about the games we have coming up."
Print Story | Email Story