image description
The Board of Water Commissioners, with their attorney Elisabeth Goodman, voted to fire the fire chief on Tuesday after an independent investigation into allegations including harassment.

Dalton Fire Chief Christian Tobin Terminated

By Sabrina DammsiBerkshires Staff
Print Story | Email Story

Members of the Fire District attend the meeting at the Stationery Factory, where Christian Tobin was sworn in on Jan. 29, 2024.
DALTON, Mass. — The Board of Water Commissioners on Tuesday unanimously voted to terminate Fire Chief Christian Tobin just a year after hiring him
 
The decision comes after an investigation by Kerry Gilpin of Comprehensive Investigations and Consulting, which began when the board announced Tobin's paid suspension in August over allegations of sexual harassment, grant overspending, and employee concerns.
 
The suspension was originally for a month but was indefinitely extended in September until the investigation into Tobin's conduct was complete. 
 
"I feel there's sufficient evidence to support the harassment charges brought to our attention against Christian Tobin," board Chair James Driscoll said.
 
"Also, the fact Mr. Tobin did not make himself available for the requested interviews in person or on Zoom by Comprehensive Investigations and Consulting LLC leads me to the decision that we need to terminate the employment of Mr. Tobin as of Jan. 7." 
 
Tobin's attorney, Jonathan Thomas Zepka of Elizabeth J. Quigley & Associates, alleges that Tobin was never contacted by the district and no interview was performed. 
 
Elizabeth J. Quigley & Associates office was contacted via a defunct AOL email and there was a meeting that was supposed to be scheduled later this month. Then, the conclusion of this report was made known to their office but was not shared, Zepka said. 
 
"We also have never seen this report and we do not know of its contents," he said. 
 
After reading the report from the district's independent investigator titled "Sexual Harassment and Inappropriate Workplace Behavior at the Dalton Fire District," board member Michael Kubicki said he agrees with the consultant's conclusion that Tobin "engaged in inappropriate workplace behavior and created an intimidating work environment."
 
Board member Camillus B. Cachat, Jr. also said Tobin did not meet all the responsibilities agreed upon during his hiring interview. 
 
Tobin did not have an employment contract, a practice of the district, but did have a verbal agreement and was expected to follow the district handbook and policies, the district's attorney, Elisabeth Goodman, from Cain Hibbard and Meyers, said in a follow-up. 
 
Goodman highlighted several reasons included in the report that justify this termination, including engaging in "inappropriate workplace behavior in violation of the district handbook Section 2.1," "taken time off without authorization," and "did not make himself available within a reasonable time for an interview by the investigator, either in person or by video conference." 
 
She also said Tobin did not complete all requirements for continued employment, including obtaining a Massachusetts Emergency Medical Technicians certification and failure to pass the fire prevention officer level two certification. 
 
Although the total cost of the investigation is not yet known, it was capped at $5,000, and the results will be available on the district website once redactions are made, Driscoll said. 
 
Tobin has been on paid administrative leave since August. Filling in during Tobin's absence has been the district's Assistant Fire Chief Chris Cachat. 
 
Placing Tobin on paid administrative leave will have minimal effect on the budget because Tobin and Cachat's pay had already been budgeted, Driscoll said in a follow-up. 
 
Throughout his suspension, Tobin has accused the district of unlawful departmental practices, including illegal wages and hour practices, unlawful public meetings, improper safety practices, failure to supply employee medical and respiratory protection, the misuse of district credit card funds, falsification of records for personal or others' benefit, and among other allegations.
 
Amongst these accusations were claims that there was a deficit of about $183,084 in fiscal year 2023. 
 
 
Tobin requested access to public records, which include documentation such as incident reports, credit card statements, expenditures, pay stubs, and documents related to the Fire Department's fiscal year 2023 debt but did not receive them over a dispute on the cost to supply the public records. 
 
Tobin has previously claimed that the district informed him the cost estimate for the requested records is $1,630.45, which includes paper copy fees and labor costs.
 
This includes an hourly rate increase from $18 to $25 to reflect the time needed for a qualified individual to access, segregate or redact personal or protected health information, and reproduce documents, District Clerk and Treasurer Melanie Roucoulet said in a response to Tobin's request. 
 
Zebka emphasized in a follow-up that Tobin was never given an opportunity to be interviewed and voice his side of the story. 
 
He also suggested that the board was trying to justify the termination by bringing in additional issues beyond just the sexual harassment allegations, which the attorney felt were not clearly established.
 
"[Tobin] advanced some very serious accusations against the town, and I think that they have taken action in regard to those accusations," he said. 
 
During the meeting on Tuesday, the district was asked by resident Robert Bishop whether it also investigated Tobin's accusations against the district. 
 
In response, Driscoll said, "We went to an individual investigating service to look at everything. So, we didn't do anything on our own because, I think, it could be looked at being biased from our point of view. So, everything that we're basing [this decision] on is in that report." 
 
Following the meeting, Driscoll said there had not been an investigation into Tobin's accusations and clarified that the only investigation that was done was the one conducted by Comprehensive Investigations and Consulting. 
 
In a follow-up, Zepka highlighted Tobin's 25 years of experience in fire service, originating from Naples, Fla. 
 
"The client really here is a whistleblower here with the town, and you know, we seek to look at all avenues going forward with those claims," he said. 
 
 
The documents show the reason being "insubordination, conduct unbecoming and misconduct."
 
Following the leave, Tobin requested to arbitrate, which resulted in a settlement to him of $98,331, $13,550 of which went to Sugerman Susskind Braswell Herra Trust Account for his alleged attorney fees and costs. 

Tags: fire chief,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Fourth Shooting Occurs Day After DA Announces Gun Violence Task Force

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — The day after Berkshire District Attorney Timothy Shugrue announced a task force to take on a spate of gun violence in the city, a another person was injured after shots were fired on Circular Avenue early Tuesday evening. 

Pittsfield Police responded to a 5:30 p.m. ShotSpotter activation at 45 Circular Ave.on Tuesday night. Five rounds were shot, and there was one victim, police said. 
 
"We're investigating it. We don't know if it's connected to anything else," Detective Lt. John Mazzeo said. "What's going on? We can't speculate. It's way too early for that, and the house was struck." 
 
He could not speak to the identity or condition of the victim; a press release shortly afterward stated the victim sustained non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to Berkshire Medical Center by private vehicle.
 
By around 7 p.m. when iBerkshires was on site, the area near the intersection of Circular Avenue and Division Street was blocked off with tape. 
 
This is the fourth gun violence incident in Pittsfield since mid-June.

On Sunday evening, three people were taken to the hospital after a shooting near the intersection of Linden Street and Francis Avenue. This is the third gun violence incident in Pittsfield since mid-June. 

The investigation into all three incidents is still active, and police are confident that they are targeted acts of violence. 

"Right now, our community is rightfully extremely concerned and troubled," Shugrue said in a statement released on Monday.  

"There are many unanswered questions surrounding these incidents of violence. There is an understandable feeling of frustration and fear that no one has been arrested and limited questions have been answered." 

The task force will be led by First Assistant District Attorney Marianne Shelvey, who formerly served at the U.S. Department of Justice's Violent Crimes and Racketeering Section. It will support the Pittsfield Police Department's work and provide additional resources, including additional personnel and overtime funding through grants awarded to the Berkshire DA to support the investigation.

Members of the Pittsfield Police, the Berkshire State Police Detective Unit assigned to the District Attorney's Office, and the Berkshire County Law Enforcement Task Force will be present. 

On June 18, a person died after being shot in the area of Tyler Street and Pleasure Avenue, and another person was injured. Following an extensive investigation, PPD applied for and was granted an arrest warrant for Terry Martizna, wanted for murder. 

On Aug. 4, there was a report of approximately 25 rounds fired around the intersection of Onota and Walnut Street, leading to two non-life-threatening injuries. 

This past weekend, on Aug. 16, there was a third incident of gun violence in the area of Francis Avenue and Linden Street, and three individuals suffered non-life-threatening injuries. 

The DA said all three incidents shattered a feeling of safety in the city.
 
"At this point, we also know that the incidents of violence involve both adults and juveniles. The investigation into all three incidents remains active," the DA wrote. 

"While it is unclear if the incidents are connected, based on the investigations to date, law enforcement are confident that the incidents are targeted and NOT random."

Mayor Peter Marchetti on Monday assured the community that the city is diligently working with law enforcement officials to identify those responsible, as "these acts of violence are not acceptable in this community, and I remain committed to holding those responsible accountable." 

Marchetti, in a written statement posted to social media, said he is in regular communication with the police chief and DA as they continue investigations. He is thankful for the formation of the specialized task force and additional resources. 

"As Mayor, I am committed to providing updates to the public regarding public safety matters, when appropriate. I share your frustration about the limited information released but I will not compromise the integrity of any investigation. As these investigations continue, the public should know that the DA’s Office and Pittsfield Police Department are using every available resource they have to bring the cases to a successful conclusion," he wrote. 

"However, we cannot do this work alone. I continue to ask anyone who may have witnessed any of the incidents or who has information, photographs, or video that could assist investigators to contact the Pittsfield Police Department." 

He emphasized that all individuals need to be held accountable, and said he cannot jeopardize the case by providing information before it is appropriate. 

Pittsfield has seen gun violence incidents uptick during the summer in the past decade. In 2021, from May 12 through mid-June, there were 13 shootings in Pittsfield, most of which happened in the city's West Side.

The DA said this violence, while carried out by people, is amplified by access to guns and ammunition. Anyone with information of someone with an illegal firearm or any information regarding these incidents is asked to contact Pittsfield Police, 413-448-9700, or provide an anonymous tip by texting PITTIP and your message to TIP411 (847411).

View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories