Briefs: Motorcyclist Dies From Accident; NYC Man Sentenced in Child Rape

Print Story | Email Story
Motorcyclist Succumbs to Accident Injuries
 
LENOX, Mass. — A Lee man involved in a motorcycle accident on Sunday has died from his injuries. 
 
Gustavo Bernal, 49, was found by a state trooper in the northbound lane of Route 7 at the Plunkett Street intersection. Local first-responders were on their way after getting a 911 call reporting of a single-vehicle collision about 9:33 p.m. 
 
Bernal was unconscious and in critical medical condition. Lenox Emergency Medical Services transported him to Berkshire Medical Center in Pittsfield. 
 
He succumbed to his injuries on Wednesday. The incident is being investigated by local and State Police.
 
 
Staten Island Man Gets 20 Years for Sexual Assault
 
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — A New York City man has been sentenced to up to 20 years in prison for sexually assaulting a child. 
 
David Gonzalez, 69, of Staten Island, was found guilty of rape of a child with force and indecent assault and battery on a child under 14 by a Superior Court jury. The incident occurred in July 2017 while the Gonzalez was in the Berkshires.
 
He was sentenced to prison terms of 18 to 20 years on the rape charge and nine to 10 years on the indecent assault, to be served concurrently with the first charge, as requested by prosecutors. Defense counsel had asked for a total sentence of 10 years for both charges. 
 
The victim and her family read powerful victim impact statements at the sentencing, according to the Berkshire District Attorney's Office.
 
"Children are among our most vulnerable population. They deserve to be valued and protected by all members of society. This victim and her immediate family had their lives permanently altered by the heinous, violent act at the hands of a pedophile," said District Attorney Timothy Shugrue. "I commend the victim for her bravery in perseverance in the face of this terrible act and her immediate family for the support they provided."
 
 Andrew Giarolo, chief of the Child Abuse Unit, represented the commonwealth and Kristen Rapkowicz was the victim witness advocate on behalf of the DA's Office.

Tags: fatal,   sexual assault,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Bousquet Sport Upgrades to All-Liquor License

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Bousquet Sport has upgraded its beverage license so guests can enjoy a cocktail while watching a tennis or pickleball match. 

On Monday, the Licensing Board approved a change of category and an alteration of premises for the facility at 100 Dan Fox Drive.

Attorney Jesse Cook-Dubin explained that Bousquet Sport wants to convert to an all-alcohol license under the new state law, "which we're very appreciative exists." 

"Not likely for the purpose of having a full bar, but really just ready to drink cocktails as an additional option," he explained. 

A state law passed last year allows restaurants and bars with existing wine and malt beverage licenses to convert their licenses to all-alcohol licenses. 

Throughout the 2020s, Milltown Capital has acquired and renovated Bousquet and the former Berkshire West into Bousquet Sport. In 2023, the City Council approved a tax increment financing agreement for the project that will relieve about $215,000 in real estate taxes. 

There is a small bar area between the tennis and pickleball courts where people gather after playing a match, but Dubin said it is not a night spot. Right now, they have to prohibit people from leaving the building with a drink. 

"They would like to expand into the outdoor areas," he said. 

View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories