State Provisions Protects Federal Workers During Government Shutdowns

Print Story | Email Story

BOSTON — The Fiscal Year 2025 closeout supplemental budget includes a provision that protects federal workers in Massachusetts from evictions and foreclosures during a government shutdown.

This provision protects federal employees for at least 30 days after the end of a shutdown, unless the governor chooses to extend the pause to 75 days after the end of the shutdown. Gov. Maura Healey used this executive authority last fall to extend support for federal workers during the shutdown.  

This provision, advocated for by state Sen. Lydia Edwards, was signed Nov. 25, 2025, and continues to apply to any future government shutdowns.   

"Nobody who shows up to work every day to serve the people of Massachusetts should face the threat of losing their home because the federal government isn’t doing their job," said Healey. "This provision allows us to protect Massachusetts’ federal employees and provides them with relief during a federal shutdown. Thank you to Senator Edwards for her leadership advocating for this important bill." 

This provision creates a temporary pause on nonpayment evictions and residential foreclosures, and requires lenders to grant temporary mortgage forbearance, for Massachusetts workers involuntarily furloughed or forced to work without pay due to the federal shutdown. At least 25,000 federal employees were furloughed or forced to work without pay last fall.  

During the federal shutdown this fall, Healey called on the Trump administration to commit to back paying TSA agents and air traffic controllers, and demanded the administration release funds for programs like heating assistance and SNAP. When the Trump Administration laid off thousands of federal workers last year, Healey launched a new website that provided employment and job training resources for federal workers. 

 

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Bousquet Sport Upgrades to All-Liquor License

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Bousquet Sport has upgraded its beverage license so guests can enjoy a cocktail while watching a tennis or pickleball match. 

On Monday, the Licensing Board approved a change of category and an alteration of premises for the facility at 100 Dan Fox Drive.

Attorney Jesse Cook-Dubin explained that Bousquet Sport wants to convert to an all-alcohol license under the new state law, "which we're very appreciative exists." 

"Not likely for the purpose of having a full bar, but really just ready to drink cocktails as an additional option," he explained. 

A state law passed last year allows restaurants and bars with existing wine and malt beverage licenses to convert their licenses to all-alcohol licenses. 

Throughout the 2020s, Milltown Capital has acquired and renovated Bousquet and the former Berkshire West into Bousquet Sport. In 2023, the City Council approved a tax increment financing agreement for the project that will relieve about $215,000 in real estate taxes. 

There is a small bar area between the tennis and pickleball courts where people gather after playing a match, but Dubin said it is not a night spot. Right now, they have to prohibit people from leaving the building with a drink. 

"They would like to expand into the outdoor areas," he said. 

View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories