Tanglewood Offers Groundbreaking Series of Audio, Video Streams
The Tanglewood 2020 Online Festival is is now entering its fifth week. It's a truly groundbreaking series of digital audio and video streams - many featuring newly created content to match the planned live programming that had to be cancelled due to the coronavirus.
These performances were recorded at Tanglewood's new and exciting spaces at the stunningly beautiful and magnificently designed Linde Center – a constituent part of the BSO's/Tanglewood's new entity, the Tanglewood Learning Institute. Other concerts to be streamed and released for the first time will include performances previously recorded and archived at Tanglewood.
Considered as a unique, all-encompassing digital music festival, the range of material parallels the anticipated 2020 large-scale Tanglewood summer festival season, containing a wide and diverse spectrum of musical offerings. As the Boston Symphony Orchestra's first-ever digital festival at Tanglewood, a clearly defined goal was to capture the natural bounty and spirit of Tanglewood's glorious grounds. For the BSO, considering the tastes of music lovers who were planning to partake of their favorite world-class artists performing beloved classical repertoire, the goal – now realized – was to feature as many of them as possible.
Relish the streaming, folks. It's the next best thing to being there, in the Shed, in Ozawa Hall, at the Linde Center, or on the pristine lawns, enjoying a summer evening’s sumptuous repast, or sipping a wine cooler. For that, look forward to next summer.
Here's this week's schedule of events, from Wednesday, July 29, to Tuesday, Aug. 4:
New content, recorded especially for online festival:
• July 29, 8 p.m.: Recitals from the World Stage featuring Silkroad Ensemble in two world premieres, Gilchrist/Mourad, How the Knot Binds, Perez/Watanbe, Fragments; with special guest Rhiannon Giddens, hosted by Karen Allen.
• July 31, 8 p.m.: BSO Musicians in Recital featuring Mary Ferrillo, Steven Laraia, Daniel Getz and Kyle Brightwell, joined by pianist Brett Hodgdon, hosted by Lauren Ambrose; the recital features the world premiere of American composer Ulysses Kay's Sonatine for Viola and Piano, which was discovered 20 years after his death.
• Aug. 1, 8 p.m.: Great Performers in Recital from Tanglewood featuring Yo-Yo Ma and Emanuel Ax performing Beethoven, Brahms, and Mendelssohn, hosted by Nicole Cabell; the performance includes enlightening and entertaining conversations between these music legends -- who are also great friends.
New TLI content:
• July 29 , 1 p.m.: TLI MasterPass featuring a violin class for Boston University Tanglewood Institute students with Midori.
• July 30, 1 p.m.: TLI ShopTalks featuring conductors Thomas Wilkins and JoAnn Falletta in candid conversation.
Featured retrospective content:
• Aug. 2, 10 a.m.: Tanglewood Music Center Chamber Concerts, an audio presentation of TMC Fellows performing chamber music of Beethoven, Weinberg, Schubert, Joan Tower, and Mendelssohn, hosted by Norman Fischer.
• Aug. 2, 2:30 p.m.: BSO Encore Performances from Tanglewood of Seiji Ozawa’s final Tanglewood concert as music director (July 2002), featuring music of Berlioz, Beethoven, and Thompson and soloists Peter Serkin, Christine Goerke, Cynthia Haymon, Zheng Cao, Vinson Cole, Anthony Dean Griffey, and Paul Plishka, hosted by Jamie Bernstein.
For more information and for prices and access to all video or audio streaming concerts, lectures and special events, go online or call 888-266-1200.