Donation Matching Challenge to Boost ACLU Voting Rights Work in Massachusetts

Print Story | Email Story
BOSTON — The ACLU of Massachusetts announced that Steve Kay and Lisbeth Tarlow have offered a matching challenge of up to $50,000 to fuel the ACLU's fight for democracy.
 
"November's election is not just critical for civil liberties; it may well determine the future of our democracy," Carol Rose, executive director of the ACLU of Massachusetts said. "The ACLU has been at the frontlines to protect and expand the right to vote for all eligible voters—and the funds we raise will help us keep up the fight. We hope that this significant gift will encourage other ACLU supporters to make an investment in civil liberties at this crucial time in our nation's history."
 
For 100 years, the ACLU has worked to promote access to the ballot and fight voter suppression. This unprecedented election season, the ACLU has filed over 30 legal actions in 20 states to ensure safe access to the ballot in November. Here in Massachusetts, the ACLU worked with voting rights organizations and lawmakers to pass legislation to enable widespread voting by mail during the COVID-19 pandemic. In advance of the general election, the ACLU of Massachusetts is training hundreds of poll monitors to help protect in-person voting across the Commonwealth.
 
Recognizing this moment, Kay and Tarlow will match every donation up to $50,000. People who donate to the ACLU of Massachusetts through Nov. 3 will have their gift doubled.
 
"Now more than ever, the ACLU is an essential institution whose work protects the rights of everyone in this country," Kay said. "Giving to the ACLU of Massachusetts means helping people exercise and maintain their voting rights. Lis and I proud to play a role in helping the ACLU ensure everyone has access to the ballot this November and beyond."
 
 
For more information about the ACLU of Massachusetts, go to: http://www.aclum.org
 

Tags: ACLU,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Pittsfield Families Frustrated Over Unreleased PHS Report, Herberg Slur Incident

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Parents are expressing their frustration with hate speech, bullying, and staff misconduct, which they said happens in Pittsfield schools. 

Community members and some elected officials have consistently advocated for the release of the redacted Pittsfield High School investigation report, and a teacher being placed on leave for allegedly repeating racist and homophobic slurs sparked a community conversation about how Pittsfield Public Schools can address injustices. 

The district's human resources director detailed the investigation processes during last week's School Committee meeting.

"People are angry. They feel like when they spoke up about Morningside School, it was closed anyway. They feel like they speak up about the PHS report, and that's just kind of getting shoved under the rug," resident Brenda Coddington said during public comment.

"I mean, when do people who actually voted for all of you, by the way, when does their voice and opinion count and matter? Because you can sit up here all day long and say that it does, but your actions, or rather lack of action, speak volumes."

Last month, School Committee member Ciara Batory demanded a date for the 2025 report's release to the public.

Three administrators and two teachers, past and present, were investigated by Bulkley Richardson and Gelinas LLP for a range of allegations that surfaced or re-surfaced at the end of 2024 after Pittsfield High's former dean of students was arrested and charged by the U.S. Attorney's Office for allegedly conspiring to traffic large quantities of cocaine in Western Massachusetts.

Executive summaries were released that concluded the claims of inappropriate conduct between teachers and students were "unsupported." Ward 7 Councilor Katherine Moody countered one of the unsupported determinations, writing on Facebook last week that she knows one person can conclude with confidence and a court case that pictures of the staff member's genitalia was sent to minors. 

"During this investigation, we sought to determine the validity of allegations about PHS Administrator #2 sharing a photograph of female genitalia with PHS students on her Snapchat account," the final executive summary reads. 

View Full Story

More State Stories