Dalton Fire Department in Search of Interim, Permanent Chief

By Sabrina DammsiBerkshires Staff
Print Story | Email Story
DALTON, Mass. — The leadership of the Fire Department is up in the air after the firing of one chief, the retirement of another and the pending departure of a third. 
 
All within a month. 
 
Board of Water Commissioners Chair James Driscoll said interim Chief Chris Cachat decided to step down last week following grumblings from firefighters questioning his effectiveness in the position.
 
For his part, Cachat said he was retiring at the age of 66. At this age he'll be past the age limit for a firefighter. 
 
These conversations came after an unannounced executive session Monday night that Driscoll described as being "accidentally" called. A number of firefighters attended the closed meeting.
 
Driscoll said the commission offered Cachat the position on Monday of last week but that he decided to not accept the district's offer after reviewing it for 24 hours. Cachat, as assistant chief, had stepped into the post in mid-May after James Peltier was placed on administrative leave and then fired.
 
Cachat said he turned down the post because it would require him to work into his 70s. 
 
"I've been in there for 40 years and I'm going to be 66 at the end of this month. And it's just time to step back and let the next generation come in," he said. 
 
He also pointed out that state law requires firefighters to retire at age 65 unless they have a waiver. 
 
Cachat is leaving the department but will remain in his current position at Mirabito Energy Products. 
 
Corey Wilcox, a captain in the department, had collaborated with Cachat. He took over day-to-day operations while Cachat handled overall chief duties, Driscoll said. 
 
Now Wilcox will be acting chief until another candidate can be found but is leaving soon to join the Pittsfield Fire Department. 
 
"We're in the process of looking for an interim chief to run the department until we can start a new search committee, collect resumes, start the process of interviews, and hiring a full time chief," Driscoll said. "Hopefully we'll be able to get something going this week."
 
It is unclear how long the search will take but the commission has a list of qualified candidates recommended by county fire departments.
 
Driscoll said firefighters asked if they could have representation on the review committee. The commission said it would consider that. 
 
iBerkshires received an email with allegations of misconduct in the department purportedly sent with the consent of a number of firefighters. It described "unprofessional" and at times unsafe behavior and a lack of leadership following Peltier's tenure as chief. 
 
Driscoll confirmed at least one alleged incident -- that firefighters were shooting "firecrackers" at each other in the bathroom. He said a group of individuals were disciplined but not what that entailed. Cachat said he'd heard rumors about the incident.
 
Driscoll said he is unaware of the other accusations but will be looking into them. 

Tags: fire chief,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Fourth Shooting Occurs Day After DA Announces Gun Violence Task Force

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — The day after Berkshire District Attorney Timothy Shugrue announced a task force to take on a spate of gun violence in the city, a another person was injured after shots were fired on Circular Avenue early Tuesday evening. 

Pittsfield Police responded to a 5:30 p.m. ShotSpotter activation at 45 Circular Ave.on Tuesday night. Five rounds were shot, and there was one victim, police said. 
 
"We're investigating it. We don't know if it's connected to anything else," Detective Lt. John Mazzeo said. "What's going on? We can't speculate. It's way too early for that, and the house was struck." 
 
He could not speak to the identity or condition of the victim; a press release shortly afterward stated the victim sustained non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to Berkshire Medical Center by private vehicle.
 
By around 7 p.m. when iBerkshires was on site, the area near the intersection of Circular Avenue and Division Street was blocked off with tape. 
 
This is the fourth gun violence incident in Pittsfield since mid-June.

On Sunday evening, three people were taken to the hospital after a shooting near the intersection of Linden Street and Francis Avenue. This is the third gun violence incident in Pittsfield since mid-June. 

The investigation into all three incidents is still active, and police are confident that they are targeted acts of violence. 

"Right now, our community is rightfully extremely concerned and troubled," Shugrue said in a statement released on Monday.  

"There are many unanswered questions surrounding these incidents of violence. There is an understandable feeling of frustration and fear that no one has been arrested and limited questions have been answered." 

The task force will be led by First Assistant District Attorney Marianne Shelvey, who formerly served at the U.S. Department of Justice's Violent Crimes and Racketeering Section. It will support the Pittsfield Police Department's work and provide additional resources, including additional personnel and overtime funding through grants awarded to the Berkshire DA to support the investigation.

Members of the Pittsfield Police, the Berkshire State Police Detective Unit assigned to the District Attorney's Office, and the Berkshire County Law Enforcement Task Force will be present. 

On June 18, a person died after being shot in the area of Tyler Street and Pleasure Avenue, and another person was injured. Following an extensive investigation, PPD applied for and was granted an arrest warrant for Terry Martizna, wanted for murder. 

On Aug. 4, there was a report of approximately 25 rounds fired around the intersection of Onota and Walnut Street, leading to two non-life-threatening injuries. 

This past weekend, on Aug. 16, there was a third incident of gun violence in the area of Francis Avenue and Linden Street, and three individuals suffered non-life-threatening injuries. 

The DA said all three incidents shattered a feeling of safety in the city.
 
"At this point, we also know that the incidents of violence involve both adults and juveniles. The investigation into all three incidents remains active," the DA wrote. 

"While it is unclear if the incidents are connected, based on the investigations to date, law enforcement are confident that the incidents are targeted and NOT random."

Mayor Peter Marchetti on Monday assured the community that the city is diligently working with law enforcement officials to identify those responsible, as "these acts of violence are not acceptable in this community, and I remain committed to holding those responsible accountable." 

Marchetti, in a written statement posted to social media, said he is in regular communication with the police chief and DA as they continue investigations. He is thankful for the formation of the specialized task force and additional resources. 

"As Mayor, I am committed to providing updates to the public regarding public safety matters, when appropriate. I share your frustration about the limited information released but I will not compromise the integrity of any investigation. As these investigations continue, the public should know that the DA’s Office and Pittsfield Police Department are using every available resource they have to bring the cases to a successful conclusion," he wrote. 

"However, we cannot do this work alone. I continue to ask anyone who may have witnessed any of the incidents or who has information, photographs, or video that could assist investigators to contact the Pittsfield Police Department." 

He emphasized that all individuals need to be held accountable, and said he cannot jeopardize the case by providing information before it is appropriate. 

Pittsfield has seen gun violence incidents uptick during the summer in the past decade. In 2021, from May 12 through mid-June, there were 13 shootings in Pittsfield, most of which happened in the city's West Side.

The DA said this violence, while carried out by people, is amplified by access to guns and ammunition. Anyone with information of someone with an illegal firearm or any information regarding these incidents is asked to contact Pittsfield Police, 413-448-9700, or provide an anonymous tip by texting PITTIP and your message to TIP411 (847411).

View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories