Adams Awarded Grant to Study the Removal of Fisk Street Dam

Print Story | Email Story
ADAMS, Mass. — The Town of Adams has received a $94,125 grant from the Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA) Dam and Seawall program to study the removal of the Peck's Brook, also known as Fisk Brook, dam located near Russell Field and the American Legion Hall. 
 
According to a statement from the town, the dam is a risk to the community, with homes, bridges, the rail trail, athletic fields, as well as water and sewer lines, located just downstream. The study will review removal options with the public, while also identifying permits needed for removal and sampling sediment located in the dam's impoundment.  
 
The town anticipates the study will begin in late 2024 or early 2025. The dam is considered by the commonwealth to have been abandoned by its owner, Cwmfelin Ltd. Taxes on the property have not been paid since the 1990s.  
 
The town has been trying to acquire the property through tax title taking to accelerate the removal process.
 
The Healey-Driscoll administration announced more than $13.9 million in grants to support the repair of dams and coastal infrastructure across Massachusetts. The funding, provided through the Executive Office of EEA's Dam and Seawall program, will help 23 municipalities and nonprofit organizations to address critical repairs and safely remove outdated structures in their communities. 
 
The Dam and Seawall program focuses on enhancing the safety and functionality of essential infrastructure, which protects residents and supports local economies. Prioritizing repairs and removals will help mitigate risks associated with severe weather events and rising sea levels. 
If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Rising Cost of Fireworks Cancels Annual Cheshire Cruz Nite

Staff Reports
CHESHIRE, Mass. — The annual Cruz Nite is pausing after 35 years because of rising costs. 
 
In a post on Facebook post on Wednesday, the Cheshire Fire Department said the company, "after much consideration, has made the difficult decision to cancel our annual Cruz Nite and Fireworks event for 2026. This pause will allow us time to regroup and determine the best course of action for future events and fundraisers."
 
The August event has featured activities, food trucks, performers, and fire trucks, with a fireworks finale. 
 
"When Cruz Nite first began, proceeds from the event were enough to cover the cost of the fireworks display. Over the years, however, the rising cost of fireworks has made it increasingly difficult to cover that expense through event proceeds alone," according to the post. 
 
Last year, the 20-minute display cost $8,500 and had to be supplemented from the hose company's reserves, and this year the quoted price was $12,500. Searches for other operators only turned up higher prices reaching as much as $17,500. 
 
More than 90 percent of fireworks are imported from China and prices have risen dramatically largely because of high tariffs. The National Fireworks Association said in February that the "fluctuating tariff layers and duty rate increases" have been exceeding 30 percent.  
 
The decision to cancel this year was made at the Hoosac Hose Company's quarterly business meeting on Monday. The post states the vote was unanimous. 
 
View Full Story

More Adams Stories