Pittsfield Sees Legal Threats Over PHS Report

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff
Print Story | Email Story

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — City officials say they have received informal threats of legal action if the redacted Pittsfield High School investigation report is released. 

The report was placed on the March 25 School Committee meeting under executive session, and member Ciara Batory argued that the body already voted to release the report by Feb. 18, not review it privately and vote on it again. 

During the meeting, Mayor Peter Marchetti, committee chair, reported that there were threats of legal action if the redacted report were released.  

On Monday, iBerkshires reached out to the mayor's office to clarify the threats. One of the report's subjects and two school unions have said they would consider legal action. 

"We have received written communication from a lawyer representing an individual who is a subject in this report that they will 'pursue all available legal remedies.' In addition, we have received notice from two of the school unions that have indicated they will consider all appropriate legal actions," Catherine VanBramer, director of administrative services/public information officer, responded via email. 

 "Any decisions to release the report would require a majority vote of the School Committee." 

Five past and present PHS staff members were investigated for alleged misconduct, and allegations were found to be "unsupported," according to executive summaries released by the last term's committee. 

Scheduled for the last School Committee meeting was an executive session to discuss an "item of litigation, release of investigation reports." Before the private session, Batory asked if there was active litigation or a specific legal claim. 

Marchetti, chair of the committee, reported: "There are threats." He said some of the School Committee members went to the Mercer Administration Building to read the report, and Batory said they had already voted to release a redacted version of the report. 

He said the motion was for the report to be reviewed by the School Committee before it was released to the public. Batory disagreed and said her motion in January, at his recommendation, was to release a redacted version and have the School Committee review it to ensure they aren't handed a blank piece of paper. 



At the Jan. 28 meeting, the committee voted to release the PHS investigative report with required redactions to comply with all applicable state and federal privacy and confidentiality laws, and to protect the safety and dignity of all individuals involved. The deadline was set for Feb. 18. 

Members agreed to review it beforehand, and Marchetti said: "It won't be released until the School Committee has approved that version." 

Batory voted against the executive session on March 25 because she said the report's release had already been voted on. The committee later took up her request to release the report with required redactions. 

She said she did not put the item on the agenda, and that the public expects school officials to handle this with fairness, consistency, and accountability. 

"… My motion is that we already voted, and that nobody wants to follow Robert's Rules, and that we follow a procedure, and people expect us to follow a procedure, because that's what's fair, and that's all I have to say about it," she said. 

Robert's Rules of Order is the standard guide for parliamentary procedure. 

Marchetti said they had the conversation in executive session that "one person voted for one thing, six of us voted for another," and said they can move on or vote on another motion to release the redacted report. 

Batory maintained that she objected to voting on a matter that was already decided, and added: "We can't change votes just because the outcome is uncomfortable, that's not how the process works."  

"I want to express concerns about what appears to be an inconsistent application of procedure," she said. 

"When rules are applied differently depending on the situation, it undermines the integrity of this body and the public trust in our decisions." 

She reported that there were "serious" other concerns raised, such as individuals who came forward during the investigation not feeling heard or taken as seriously as they should have been.


Tags: investigation,   PHS,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Lanesborough Planners Bring STR, ADU, Signage Bylaws for Town Vote

By Breanna SteeleiBerkshires Staff

LANESBOROUGH, Mass. — The Planning Board held a public hearing on the much anticipated bylaws for short-term rentals, accessory dwelling units, and signage to be presented at the annual town meeting.

For the past few months, planners have diligently been working on wordage of the new bylaws after Second Drop Farm's short-term rental was given a cease and desist because the building inspector said town bylaws don't support them.

The draft bylaw can be found on the website.

The board voted on each of the four articles and heard public comment before moving to entertain any amendments brought forward.

A lot of discussion in the STR section was around parking. Currently the drafted bylaw for parking states short-term rentals require two parking spaces, and with three or more bedrooms, require three spaces but never more than five.

There were questions about the reasons for limiting parking and how they will regulate parking renters choose to park on the lawn or the street. Planners said it is not their call, that is up to the property owner and if it is a public street that would be up to the authorities.

Some attendees called for tighter regulation to make sure neighborhoods are protected from overflow.

Lynn Terry said she lives next to one of the rented houses on Narragansett Avenue and does not feel safe with all of the cars that are parked there. She said there can be up to 10 at a time on the narrow road, and that some people have asked to use her driveway to park. She thinks limiting to five cars based on the house, is very important.

The wordage was amended to say a parking space for each bedroom of the house.

Rich Cohen brought up how his own STR at the Old Stone School helps bring in money and helps to preserve the historic landmark. He told the board he liked what they did and wants to see it pass at town meeting, knowing it might be revised later on.

He said the bylaws now should not be a "one size fits all" but may need to be adjusted to help protect neighborhoods and also preserve places like his.

After asking the audience of fewer than 20 people, the board decided to amend the amount of time an short-term rental can be reserved to 180 days total a year in a residential zone, and 365 days a year in every other zone. This was in the hopes the bylaw will be passed and help to deter companies from buying up properties to run STRs as well as protecting the neighborhood character and stability.

They also capped the stay limit of a guest to 31 days.

Cohen also asked them to add "if applicable" to the Certificate of Inspection rule as the state's rules might change and it can help stop confusion if they have incorrect requirement that the state doesn't need.

The ADU portion did not have much public comment but there were some minor amendments because of notes from KP Law, the town counsel.

View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories