CLARKSBURG, Mass. — The four small schools in the North Berkshire School Union will be back in class on Jan. 4, even as some larger school districts are planning a remote learning quarantine for the first weeks of the new year.
"We haven't had any positive cases for anybody that works or goes to school in our district, so we're very happy with that," said Superintendent John Franzoni on Wednesday. "We've got a safety protocol we put in place that has been successful and we're looking forward to welcoming everybody back on Monday for in-person learning ... we're obviously very pleased with the fact we can educate our kids in person."
The state Department of Elementary and Secondary Education had reported in its most recent communication that there are only 20 school districts across the state operating as full-day models for in person learning, he said, and that three of the districts are part of the school union.
Gabriel Abbott Memorial School in the town of Florida, Emma Miller School in Savoy and Rowe Elementary have been operating with full day, in-person learning since the start of the school year on Sept. 8. Clarksburg Elementary, the largest school in the union serving kindergarten through Grade 8, has been hybrid for Grades 6 to 8 because of space restrictions.
Kindergarten through Grade 5 have been in school since the beginning with the middle school grades taking turns attending half days in person and the other half in synchronous remote learning. The school officials had been searching for more space to bring all the students back to the classroom and had approached the town about using the closed Community Center, but it did not seem workable.
Franzoni said the school's plan has been successful so far in at least having the majority children in class. The gym, for example, is being used for Grade 5 because of its size
"Grade 5 is in the gymnasium because there are 23 students, we can spread them out in there but we have a couple other 20-plus student classes in Grade 6 and Grade 8 so we just can't fit them according to how we have to space the desks out," he said. "We want to make sure we follow the safety protocols so they can continue to go to school."
The superintendent said there may be an opportunity next year when the weather gets warmer to bring more of the students back to the school.
He said there have been isolations because of possible exposure to the novel coronavirus but the small towns don't have as many points of transmission as the larger communities, such as restaurants and other high-volume areas.
"I think you know the people in town have also really done a good job," Franzoni said. "We've talked about the traveling right from the start of the year ... traveling is the way, I think you know, that brings it into the area, so we've been emphasizing that to our families to now please try to limit your travel."
Families and staff have been strongly encouraged to isolate and participate by remote if they have traveled or had possible exposure.
"Even if they were negative for close exposure or travel, we do the 14-day quarantine from school," Franzoni said. "So that's the maximum protection and we're taking those steps to try to keep the virus out of our school."
Clarksburg has had 21 confirmed cases of COVID-19, including the first recorded in Berkshire County; as of Dec. 24, it had one confirmed case in a two-week period. Florida and Savoy have had fewer than five cases and Rowe five exactly; none of those towns had had a positive case in the two weeks before Christmas.
North Adams will not return to in-person learning until Jan. 19, as a buffer against possible COVID-19 exposures over the holidays. McCann Technical will reopen Jan. 4 for hybrid learning.
Franzoni said school officials feel confident that the NBSU schools continue to be safe places for the students and staff because of the updated safety guidelines in place.
"The NBSU districts are fully committed to educating the students in person under the current conditions to keep everyone in the building safe because that's what is best for the students," he said.
If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.
Your Comments
iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue. Name-calling, personal attacks, libel, slander or foul language is not allowed. All comments are reviewed before posting and will be deleted or edited as necessary.
No Comments
Q&A with State Representative Challenger Andrew Fitch
By Stephen DravisiBerkshires Staff
NORTH ADAMS, Mass. — On Sept. 1, voters in the First Berkshire District will decide whether they want to send a new representative to Beacon Hill in Boston.
Andrew Fitch, currently a city councilor in the district's largest municipality — and the commonwealth's smallest city — is challenging former North Adams Mayor John Barrett III, who won the First Berkshire seat in a 2017 special election, in the Democratic Party primary.
There is no Republican on the primary ballot for the First Berkshire seat so the primary will effectively be the election for the seat.
The two candidates met for their only debate on Aug. 13 at Williams College. iBerkshires.com reached out to both candidates to follow up on some of the points raised in the debate and get their thoughts on some other issues facing the district.
Below are excerpts from a conversation with challenger Andrew Fitch:
Question: From the very beginning, you talked about the campaign as a listening experience, and this week you're continuing that with the bike tour …
Andrew Fitch: Knocking on doors that have never been knocked on before. … I was riding through, I believe it was Hinsdale coming into Windsor, and they started to yell at me, 'No!' And then the guy was like, 'Wait a second. That's Andrew Fitch.' They actually knew who I was, and they were actually wanting to chat with me.
Andrew Fitch, currently a city councilor in the district's largest municipality — and the commonwealth's smallest city — is challenging former North Adams Mayor John Barrett III, who won the First Berkshire seat in a 2017 special election, in the Democratic Party primary. click for more
In preparation for the 25th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, the Fire Department wanted to clean up the side yard where it typically holds a remembrance ceremony. click for more
Gov. Maura Healey took some time out of her campaign swing through the Berkshires on Monday to tour the under construction $65 million Greylock School project. click for more