image description
Berkshire Pipe & Tobacco has lost the right to sell its only product.

Pittsfield Health Board Upholds Berkshire Pipe License Revocation

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff
Print Story | Email Story

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — The city has lost another tobacco permit, and Berkshire Pipe and Tobacco was advised to find a different product to sell. 

On Wednesday, the Board of Health reaffirmed its Dec. 3 decision to revoke the 17-year-old business's tobacco license, which has been suspended since March. While the shop owners were apologetic, the board upheld its decision because of repeated violations and a citation from the Department of Revenue for untaxed tobacco products. 

"Unfortunately, you're in a situation where, having been given a number of chances to get off suspension, get off fines, you've gotten to the point where you're selling an unlicensed product in our city, despite the fact that you shouldn't have anything on site, you actually have stuff that's illegal in the state so I can't think of any other way we can deal with this, other than to leave it as a revocation," board member Dr. Jeffrey Leppo said. 

"Otherwise, we might as well just simply say any store could do this, and there's no consequence. And we're not about to say that." 

No new applications are being accepted for tobacco permits in Pittsfield, meaning that when a permit is revoked, it goes away. The tobacco permit for Gulf Food Mart on Wahconah Street was revoked last year. 

Director of Public Health Andy Cambi reported that an August inspection by the DOR found untaxed products on site while the tobacco license was suspended. If not revoked, it would have been up for renewal on Dec. 11. 

"My sense is that we have given this establishment enough opportunities to go through their inventory to make sure they don't have tobacco products. We have gone out and done multiple inspections where there have been times that we have not found any tobacco products, there have been times that we have found tobacco products," he said. 



Store representative Nipun Saluja reported that the store passed inspection in May and June and provided the board with a letter, which was not read aloud. He said the store was initially given a one-month suspension that turned into a 10-month suspension. 

"So I did respect the board. We did not challenge their suspension. We did not go to court. We had our rights to go to court and challenge the suspension," he said. 

Saluja pointed out that the store doesn't hold any other licenses, such as food or alcoholic beverages, and asked how they are supposed to survive. He cited the number of cannabis dispensaries in the city. 

"It's unfortunate that you don't have any other products to sell to keep your business afloat, but it doesn't change the circumstance at all that we can't really trust you to not sell tobacco products," Chair Roberta Elliott said. 

"And we take that very seriously because we know that kids start smoking at a very young age because they have access to those products." 

She advised that Berkshire Pipe and Tobacco find another business strategy, and asserted that they cannot sell tobacco products anymore. 


Tags: board of health,   tobacco regulations,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Lanesborough Board OKs Budget, Warrant Article Changes

By Breanna SteeleiBerkshires Staff

LANESBOROUGH, Mass. — The Select Board  last week approved the fiscal 2027 draft budget and made slight changes in the warrant articles impending town vote.

The proposed spending plan has an increase of a little over 10 percent. Some of the main budget increases are the Mount Greylock Regional School District and McCann Technical School: the McCann assessment is up more than 30 percent based on factors including enrollment and the renovation project, and Mount Greylock's is up 11 percent.

Another notable increase was in the life and health insurance, showing an increase of about 26 percent.

"I'd like everybody to know that the Town Hall staff, everybody, the Police Department, Fire Department, the DPW, they really looked over their budgets and went down to bare bones. I want to give them credit for that, because I think the townspeople should know that we are not only as a Select Board, as a town administrator, we are all looking to keep our taxes within a reasonable amount," said Chair Deborah Maynard.

"And I want you all to realize that the town staff and the departments have really brought their budgets down to bare bones. And I'm making this because the school department, in my opinion, and this is my opinion only, has not done their due diligence in bringing their budget under control over a 10 percent increase. I think regardless of what the insurance went up, I still think that they could have cut their budget a little more."

Maynard was the only no vote in endorsing the budget. 

The free cash warrant articles for the annual town meeting were approved with a couple of changes since last meeting.

The board added the transfer of $1,200 from free cash to purchase software to support tracking and ongoing maintenance schedules of all town-owned vehicles.

Instead of transferring $200,000 from free cash for the replacement of a fire engine, voters instead will be asked to transfer $380,000 from the fire truck stabilization fund and authorize the treasurer to borrow up to $700,000 with approval from the Select Board.

An article asking to increase the Zoning Board of Appeals membership from three to five members was  withdrawn as board member Michael Murphy felt it was not needed anymore.

Other changes was withdrawal of free cash article of $3,200 for the Assessors WebPro online search software after public comment from Barbara Hassan addressed a miscommunication with the assessors property card format. Officials want to find another way to get the information that will not cost the town.

The annual town meeting is Tuesday, June 9, at 6 p.m. Lanesborough Elementary School. The annual town election will take place June 16 at Town Hall with polls open noon until 8 p.m.

In other business, solar developer Kirt Mayland updated the board about the solar array project at Old Orebed Road and the work with EDF Power Solutions, which was the highest bidder on the project in 2022 and has been working to bring a solar array on the capped landfill.

The group recently finished an interconnection study with Eversource and connected with ISO New England to make sure they did not have any effects on the transmission system. The price was affordable with Eversource and can move forward if allowed.

EDF's last option agreement was terminated in January, and since 2022 it has been paying $5,000 to extend services, looking to extend again with the town. 

View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories