The 7,500-square-foot Campagna Kleefeld Center for Creativity in the Arts will be located at the corner of Porter and Church Street. Bidding for the MCLA project opened last week.
North Adams Planners OK MCLA Arts Center, Italian Restaurant
Nick Moulton, left, and Peter Belmonte were introduced as the chefs for the new Zio Roberto.
NORTH ADAMS, Mass. — Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts' new arts center was given the go-ahead by the Planning Board on Monday, along with a new Italian restaurant on Marshall Street.
The center, funded by California artist and writer Carolyn Kleefeld and the MCLA Foundation, will be a stepping stone for the college to build a graduate program in arts management, said Robert Ziomek, vice president for institutional advancement.
"The center will be a vital focus for faculty to engage in the arts, offering a dynamic and flexible space that will serve as a catalyst for curricular innovation and will provide a compelling teaching and learning environment," he told the planners.
"It's going to allow for an expanded visiting artist program that we're trying to do, and plus our graduate program will be able to grow as we will apply for, once this building is online, for a graduate program in arts management."
He said Kleefeld is "really excited about having students engaged with artists of all of all types, but also giving faculty the ability to be creative with the curriculum around arts."
Designer George Dole of Jones Whitsett Architects and landscape architect Rachel Loeffler, principal at Berkshire Design Group presented the plans.
The two-story building will consist of a full-height gallery on the east side and two floors containing offices, break area, classrooms, storage and restrooms on the west side. The exterior will be natural cedar siding on the classroom side and OKO Skin fiberglass panels by Rieder Group on the gallery section.
The two single-family homes on the site were approved for demolition by the Historical Commission last July. Both properties have been in the college's possession for more than 26 years and had been used for offices. The new building will sit largely within their footprint.
Loeffler pointed out the landscaping design, saying "we have a really lovely planting plan for the project, which includes a mix of evergreens and flowering shrubs. And we worked closely with MCLA to kind of figure out what plants will be highly salt tolerant and will be able to withstand the demands of institution in the winter."
Lighting will be "dark light compliant" and integrated into the overhead canopy and low-light bollards along the pathway and accessible walkway.
"In addition, the project, you know, gallery space with art materials, has really demanding energy needs, and the project is posing currently a generator to support that in case of power outages," she said.
This would be placed within the required buffer zones and hidden by both a fence and a plantings. In response to questions, Dole said the generator is an alternative add-on that will depend on bids for the project but the location will be screened whether the generator is included or not.
"We've met with the Historical Commission and the mayor's office and reviewed the plans with them," said Dole. "And taken some of their recommendations and advise, and made the building try to fit in a little more, capturing some of the Italianate historic characteristics of some of the buildings in the Church Street–Cady Hill Historic District."
The center will not be a significant change to the campus operations, said Loeffler, noting there are 51 parking spaces within 200 feet. The project will go before the Zoning Board of Appeals next week for a parking variance after last week's meeting was canceled for snow.
Planner Virginia Riehl questioned public access and hours but Ziomek said they couldn't speak to programming at this point but expected it would run similar to the Mosaic Program at Gallery 51 on Main Street in bringing the community and the college together.
"I think that to the extent that you can accommodate the larger community to be able to utilize that facility, that would be a real plus," said Riehl.
Planner Peter Oleskiewicz questioned truck traffic and closures during construction. "It's a very small street, and there's going to be a lot of truck activity coming in around there," he said. "And I know it's very challenging for drivers, and there would probably be kind of aggravating for residents as well."
Nick Culver of Skanska USA, the owner's project manager, said the project went out to bid last week and the logistics on site would be up to the construction company selected. He said they would probably use the Church Street Center parking lot.
"The street has been under construction and Porter was shut down quite a bit," he said, adding that was likely to happen again during construction but they would try to be good neighbors. "There is going to be some inconvenience, and that may include, you know, temporary closure of Porter Street. Obviously, one of the primary considerations would be to keep the public safe, so that may become necessary just for that reason."
Planner Kyle Hanlon thanked them for presentation and that it was about time.
"I think the building is beautiful. In my mind, this is a huge part ... a big part of integrating the college into MoCA and into our growing arts community in the city," he said. "I think whoever's brainchild it is really should be commended. And it's just, in my opinion, a stellar idea. Might even think of it 10 years ago, but it's nice."
The planners also approved a change of use for Moresi Culinary Ventures LLC for an Italian restaurant, Zio Roberto, in the Mulcare Building expected to open by the end of May.
Owner David Moresi said the former Grazie and Mohawk Tavern were being renovated with the Mohawk bar being turned into the "Taverna," offering beer, wine and craft cocktails along with small plates. It will be considered part of Zio Roberto, which will serve "authentic" Italian cuisine, including fresh-made pasta.
"It's actually modeled after a newer concept that is gaining a lot of popularity, and it's kind of referred to as the Italian speakeasy," said Moresi, envisioning a lounge with oversized chairs and cocktail tables. As for the restaurant, "we're really going to focus on fresh pasta, and it's basically an overall traditional, curated dining experience. It's a place where patrons can enjoy a multi-course dining experience, enjoy a first-class evening out."
He introduced his chefs Peter Belmonte and Nick Moulton, both of whom have years of experience locally and regionally.
Planners asked for the reason he was before them, as they assumed this would not be a change of use. Moresi said he'd spoken with the building department and there was a bit of a gray area because the bar and the restaurant would become one entity. He took the advice to go before the planners to cover his bases.
"If you weren't doing fresh pasta, we might not approve this," joked Riehl.
In other business, a solar project which has been in front of the Planning Board and Conservation Commission numerous times over the past year, asked to withdraw its application, which was approved without prejudice. The project principals of North Adams PV LLC were unable to provide how they would get to the former Apkins scrapyard, which is currently only acessible by the one-lane bridge from Western Gateway Heritage State Park.
If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.
Your Comments
iBerkshires.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue. Name-calling, personal attacks, libel, slander or foul language is not allowed. All comments are reviewed before posting and will be deleted or edited as necessary.
No Comments
North Adams Unveils Hometown Heroes Banners
By Jack GuerinoiBerkshires Staff
Carol Ethier-Kipp holds up the first aid kit her father used as an Army medic in World War II. See more photos here.
NORTH ADAMS, Mass. — The City of North Adams honored its own on Friday afternoon, unveiling 50 downtown street banners representing local veterans who served — and continue to serve — the community and the country.
More than 300 residents packed the front lawn of City Hall as the community took a moment to reflect on its "Hometown Heroes" during the morning unveiling ceremony.
"In a city like North Adams, service is personal. The men and women we honor today are not strangers to us. They are our neighbors, our classmates, our parents, our grandparents," Mayor Jennifer Macksey told the crowd. "... These banners are far more than names and pictures hanging along our streets. They are visible reminders of the values that define North Adams: courage, sacrifice, humility, duty, resilience, and the love of country. They remind every person who passes by that this community remembers our veterans."
The banner program launched exactly a year ago. Veterans Services Agent Kurtis Durocher opened applications in October and spent the next six months working with families to bring the project to Main Street and over the Hadley Overpass.
"We gather to recognize the brave men and women from our community who have served or who are currently serving in the United States armed forces," Durocher said. "These banners are more than images. They bear a tribute to service, sacrifice, courage, and pride, and they remind us that the freedoms we enjoy every day have been protected by our neighbors, family members, friends, and Hometown Heroes."
Each banner features a portrait of a veteran alongside their military branch and dates of service.
Durocher noted that the program was something residents clearly wanted, pointing to how fast applications flooded his desk. He praised the volunteers who stepped up to get the banners made and displayed — including city firefighters and Mitchell Meranti of Wire & Alarm Department,who were installing them as late as Thursday night.
Jason Codey struck out 13, walked two and allowed just an infield single as the Generals earned a 7-1 win over Wahconah to claim their third straight regional title. click for more
Gracelyn Wright struck out eight, and Genevieve Lagess went 3-for-5 with four runs batted in as the Hurricanes beat Monson, 17-3, to claim their first Western Mass title in four years. click for more
For the boys, Ward Bianchi helped lead the way with a win in the shot put and a second place in the javelin as the Mounties finished 16 points ahead of runner-up Pittsfield (pending the results of the pole vault, which were unavailable at 11 p.m. Friday night). click for more
Brady Auger Friday scored five goals to lead the Mount Greylock boys Lacrosse team to a 16-14 win over Hoosac Valley in the title game of the Western Massachusetts Class C Tournament. click for more
More than 300 residents packed the front lawn of City Hall as the community took a moment to reflect on its "Hometown Heroes" during the morning unveiling ceremony.
click for more