image description

Pittsfield Schools' New Cell Phone Policy Effective So Far

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff
Print Story | Email Story

PITTSFIELD, Mass.— The revised cell phone policy has shown positive results so far for the Pittsfield Public Schools.

"I feel like we have reversed time. My students are engaging with me, engaging with others. I have had no issues with cell phones at all," one teacher reported to the administration.

Matthew Bishop, interim assistant superintendent of instruction, assessment, education, and engagement, shared an update on cell phone infractions with the School Committee last week.

With 13 instruction days left in the month, there have been 156 referrals with a tightened policy that holds students' phones in the main office on a second infraction. There were 989 in September 2023.

He reported that educators have said the new rules are a "definite deterrent" and that it is a clear policy with well-spelled-out consequences.

Herberg has taken it a step further, going to tech-free lunches and reporting a "big difference."

"But again, I caution it's the second week of school," Bishop said.

The policy starts with documentation of the cell phone infraction and by the fourth, the student is assigned Restorative In-School Education (RISE,) and a caregiver must pick up the device.

A tiered cell phone policy was accepted last summer and after more than 6,300 infractions occurred in the subsequent school year, administrators went back to the drawing board.

Over the summer, teachers, families, and committee members helped inform a refined policy that Bishop described as an "intermediary step." It was accepted by the committee last month.



In other news, a committee has been formed to restructure the district's middle schools. The panel met for the first time with Superintendent Joseph Curtis on Monday and while the meetings are not public, he will report progress to the committee and will speak on Pittsfield Community Television and WTBR radio's "Morning Drive."

"We have about roughly half that are parents or guardians, which is fantastic," Curtis said.

Also last month, the committee endorsed an ambitious timeline that could see the city's middle school reconfiguration implemented as soon as the 2025-26 academic year.
 
The Middle School Restructuring Committee will continue studying possible grade configurations, assess data on student performance, and gather feedback from stakeholder groups before presenting a final recommendation on reconfiguration in January 2025.
 
If all goes according to plan, the School Committee would make its final decisions on grade spans and the educational models for the, potentially, newly configured schools in February. The administration would work out an implementation plan in March.

The district has also submitted a statement of interest to the Massachusetts School Building Authority for a combined build on the site of Crosby Elementary School.

The proposal rebuilds Conte Community School and Crosby on the West Street site with shared facilities, as both have outdated campuses, insufficient layouts, and need significant repair. A rough timeline shows a feasibility study in 2026 with design and construction ranging from 2027 to 2028.

Following the SOI, the next step would be a feasibility study to determine the specific needs and parameters of the project, costing about $1.5 million and partially covered by the state. There is a potential for 80 percent reimbursement through the MSBA, who will decide on the project by the end of the year.

Silvio O. Conte Community School, built in 1974, is a 69,500-square-foot open-concept facility that was popular in the 1960s and 1970s but the quad classroom layout poses educational and security risks.  John C. Crosby Elementary School, built in 1962, is about 69,800 square feet and was built as a junior high school so several aspects had to be adapted for elementary use.


Tags: phone,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Lanesborough Board OKs Budget, Warrant Article Changes

By Breanna SteeleiBerkshires Staff

LANESBOROUGH, Mass. — The Select Board  last week approved the fiscal 2027 draft budget and made slight changes in the warrant articles impending town vote.

The proposed spending plan has an increase of a little over 10 percent. Some of the main budget increases are the Mount Greylock Regional School District and McCann Technical School: the McCann assessment is up more than 30 percent based on factors including enrollment and the renovation project, and Mount Greylock's is up 11 percent.

Another notable increase was in the life and health insurance, showing an increase of about 26 percent.

"I'd like everybody to know that the Town Hall staff, everybody, the Police Department, Fire Department, the DPW, they really looked over their budgets and went down to bare bones. I want to give them credit for that, because I think the townspeople should know that we are not only as a Select Board, as a town administrator, we are all looking to keep our taxes within a reasonable amount," said Chair Deborah Maynard.

"And I want you all to realize that the town staff and the departments have really brought their budgets down to bare bones. And I'm making this because the school department, in my opinion, and this is my opinion only, has not done their due diligence in bringing their budget under control over a 10 percent increase. I think regardless of what the insurance went up, I still think that they could have cut their budget a little more."

Maynard was the only no vote in endorsing the budget. 

The free cash warrant articles for the annual town meeting were approved with a couple of changes since last meeting.

The board added the transfer of $1,200 from free cash to purchase software to support tracking and ongoing maintenance schedules of all town-owned vehicles.

Instead of transferring $200,000 from free cash for the replacement of a fire engine, voters instead will be asked to transfer $380,000 from the fire truck stabilization fund and authorize the treasurer to borrow up to $700,000 with approval from the Select Board.

An article asking to increase the Zoning Board of Appeals membership from three to five members was  withdrawn as board member Michael Murphy felt it was not needed anymore.

Other changes was withdrawal of free cash article of $3,200 for the Assessors WebPro online search software after public comment from Barbara Hassan addressed a miscommunication with the assessors property card format. Officials want to find another way to get the information that will not cost the town.

The annual town meeting is Tuesday, June 9, at 6 p.m. Lanesborough Elementary School. The annual town election will take place June 16 at Town Hall with polls open noon until 8 p.m.

In other business, solar developer Kirt Mayland updated the board about the solar array project at Old Orebed Road and the work with EDF Power Solutions, which was the highest bidder on the project in 2022 and has been working to bring a solar array on the capped landfill.

The group recently finished an interconnection study with Eversource and connected with ISO New England to make sure they did not have any effects on the transmission system. The price was affordable with Eversource and can move forward if allowed.

EDF's last option agreement was terminated in January, and since 2022 it has been paying $5,000 to extend services, looking to extend again with the town. 

View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories