Berkshire Waste Reduction Businesses Awarded Grants

Print Story | Email Story
ADAMS, Mass. — Second Chance Composting, Dream Green Recycling of the Berkshires, and Tommy's Compost Service were awarded Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection's (MassDEP) Recycling and Reuse Business Development Grants (RBDG).
 
Second Chance Composting of Cheshire was awarded up to $100,000.
 
Dream Green Recycling of the Berkshires in Adams was awarded up to $150,000.
 
Tommy's Compost Service in Cheshire was awarded up to $50,000. 
 
"Massachusetts is taking action on waste reduction with smart solutions," said Energy and Environmental Affairs Secretary Rebecca Tepper. "We are investing in reuse, recycling, and composting. This cuts waste and sets the stage for responsible resource management."
 
MassDEP's RBDG Program includes collection and processing grants designed to invest in businesses that maximize the recovery of valuable materials and resources. The program will provide $565,000 to 10 businesses to improve their recycling collection for materials prohibited from disposal, including mattresses, textiles and commercial food waste. Over $1.2 million will go to support 11 businesses in stating or expanding reuse, recycling, or composting operations.
 
The RBDG Program requires companies that receive grants to create measurable economic benefits for Massachusetts. They must also use the grant-funded equipment only for collecting or processing specific materials in the state for at least three years. RBDG collection grants are available for projects that collect certain materials, including surplus food for donation, food waste for animal feed, composting, or anaerobic digestion, as well as mattresses and textiles. The processing grants support projects that reuse or process certain materials, such as container glass, bulky reusable items, construction and demolition materials, textiles, food, and mattresses.
 
If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Rising Cost of Fireworks Cancels Annual Cheshire Cruz Nite

Staff Reports
CHESHIRE, Mass. — The annual Cruz Nite is pausing after 35 years because of rising costs. 
 
In a post on Facebook post on Wednesday, the Cheshire Fire Department said the company, "after much consideration, has made the difficult decision to cancel our annual Cruz Nite and Fireworks event for 2026. This pause will allow us time to regroup and determine the best course of action for future events and fundraisers."
 
The August event has featured activities, food trucks, performers, and fire trucks, with a fireworks finale. 
 
"When Cruz Nite first began, proceeds from the event were enough to cover the cost of the fireworks display. Over the years, however, the rising cost of fireworks has made it increasingly difficult to cover that expense through event proceeds alone," according to the post. 
 
Last year, the 20-minute display cost $8,500 and had to be supplemented from the hose company's reserves, and this year the quoted price was $12,500. Searches for other operators only turned up higher prices reaching as much as $17,500. 
 
More than 90 percent of fireworks are imported from China and prices have risen dramatically largely because of high tariffs. The National Fireworks Association said in February that the "fluctuating tariff layers and duty rate increases" have been exceeding 30 percent.  
 
The decision to cancel this year was made at the Hoosac Hose Company's quarterly business meeting on Monday. The post states the vote was unanimous. 
 
View Full Story

More Adams Stories