Pittsfield School Committee to Review New Cell Phone Regs

By Stephen DravisiBerkshires Staff
Print Story | Email Story
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — The School Committee will hold a special meeting on Wednesday to consider the appointment of a new special education director and learn about updated cell phone regulations for the district.
 
Interim Deputy Superintendent Matthew Bishop gave the committee a preview of the new rules at its meeting last week.
 
He said the administration had planned a meeting with the district's principals to finalize the new plan to address infractions.
 
Under the plan presented last Wednesday, students would be subject to a five-step series of measures based on the number of times they violate the policy.
 
The first infraction would result in the student being asked to place their phone in the classroom holder for the rest of the class period. Teachers would log the incident and reach out to the student's caregiver by phone or email.
 
On the second infraction, the student's phone would be taken to the main office, where it can be claimed at the end of the day. On the third offense, the student would be given a half-day assignment in the school's Restorative In-School Education program. The fourth violation would yield a full-day RISE assignment.
 
For fifth and subsequent violations, the student could be given RISE or out-of-school suspension.
 
The other order of business a this week's meeting will be a potential vote on a new special education director. Superintendent Joseph Curtis told the School Committee that the 11-person interview committee had interviewed one finalist on Aug. 13 and planned two more interviews on the 15th.
 
The main decision at last week's regular School Committee meeting involved Curtis' proposal for an eight-month process to decide whether and how to reconfigure the city's middle schools.
 
The cell phone and special education director updates were part of a monthly report from Curtis and the administrative team, which also included information about a new adult education program for Taconic High and a step forward in a possible building project involving the city's elementary schools.
 
"We are very excited to report we've received news from [the Massachusetts School Building Authority] that they are visiting Pittsfield to talk about the Crosby/Conte project," Curtis said. "It's really a conversation and tour with school officials and city officials for them to assess the project and its viability.
 
"It's not a guarantee that we're accepted into the MSBA [funding] pipeline, but it's certainly a first step."
 
According to Curtis' written report to the School Committee, the MSBA representatives, among other things, will assess the ability of the current school buildings to support the educational program and check out the buildings' physical condition.
 
The district's assistant superintendent for college and career readiness told the School Committee about a planning grant the Pittsfield Public Schools received along with the Northern Berkshire Vocational Regional School District to launch Career Technical Initiatives programs in the late fall.
 
The CTI program is an initiative of the quasi-government Commonwealth Corporation that works with vocational schools to provide evening and weekend training for unemployed and underemployed individuals.
 
"As far back as when Taconic opened, we were asked if that was something we could launch," Tammy Gage told the School Committee. "Our priority really was to onboard those secondary programs so we could get all of that right before we introduce the adult training,
 
"The CTI purpose is to train the adult workforce, and finally we feel like we can meet that demand and introduce pilot programs at night."

Tags: phone,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Lanesborough Board OKs Budget, Warrant Article Changes

By Breanna SteeleiBerkshires Staff

LANESBOROUGH, Mass. — The Select Board  last week approved the fiscal 2027 draft budget and made slight changes in the warrant articles impending town vote.

The proposed spending plan has an increase of a little over 10 percent. Some of the main budget increases are the Mount Greylock Regional School District and McCann Technical School: the McCann assessment is up more than 30 percent based on factors including enrollment and the renovation project, and Mount Greylock's is up 11 percent.

Another notable increase was in the life and health insurance, showing an increase of about 26 percent.

"I'd like everybody to know that the Town Hall staff, everybody, the Police Department, Fire Department, the DPW, they really looked over their budgets and went down to bare bones. I want to give them credit for that, because I think the townspeople should know that we are not only as a Select Board, as a town administrator, we are all looking to keep our taxes within a reasonable amount," said Chair Deborah Maynard.

"And I want you all to realize that the town staff and the departments have really brought their budgets down to bare bones. And I'm making this because the school department, in my opinion, and this is my opinion only, has not done their due diligence in bringing their budget under control over a 10 percent increase. I think regardless of what the insurance went up, I still think that they could have cut their budget a little more."

Maynard was the only no vote in endorsing the budget. 

The free cash warrant articles for the annual town meeting were approved with a couple of changes since last meeting.

The board added the transfer of $1,200 from free cash to purchase software to support tracking and ongoing maintenance schedules of all town-owned vehicles.

Instead of transferring $200,000 from free cash for the replacement of a fire engine, voters instead will be asked to transfer $380,000 from the fire truck stabilization fund and authorize the treasurer to borrow up to $700,000 with approval from the Select Board.

An article asking to increase the Zoning Board of Appeals membership from three to five members was  withdrawn as board member Michael Murphy felt it was not needed anymore.

Other changes was withdrawal of free cash article of $3,200 for the Assessors WebPro online search software after public comment from Barbara Hassan addressed a miscommunication with the assessors property card format. Officials want to find another way to get the information that will not cost the town.

The annual town meeting is Tuesday, June 9, at 6 p.m. Lanesborough Elementary School. The annual town election will take place June 16 at Town Hall with polls open noon until 8 p.m.

In other business, solar developer Kirt Mayland updated the board about the solar array project at Old Orebed Road and the work with EDF Power Solutions, which was the highest bidder on the project in 2022 and has been working to bring a solar array on the capped landfill.

The group recently finished an interconnection study with Eversource and connected with ISO New England to make sure they did not have any effects on the transmission system. The price was affordable with Eversource and can move forward if allowed.

EDF's last option agreement was terminated in January, and since 2022 it has been paying $5,000 to extend services, looking to extend again with the town. 

View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories