Mexican Eatery's License Clipped for Underage Service

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff
Print Story | Email Story

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — The Licensing Board imposed a two-week liquor license suspension on Iztac Mexican Restaurant after police submitted photographs that appear to show underage patrons drinking. 

Formerly Pancho's Mexican Restaurant, the eatery has been in front of the board for several incidents over the last few years. Pancho's had its liquor license suspended for one week in 2023 and its hours reduced twice

"This is serious, and they have a history, and I think we owe it to this community to do something a little heavier," Chair Thomas Campoli said on Monday after a five-day suspension was proposed by board member Jon Lifvergren. 

Reports of underage drinking and fighting from September 2025 and earlier this year were presented. 

Gabriel Columna purchased the business in 2022. Last year, the board approved a name change from Pancho's Mexican Restaurant to Iztac, still operating under Columnna LLC.  

In January, Capt. Matthew Hill received a call from an upset parent about her 19-year-old daughter patronizing Iztac at night and being served. He is familiar with the parents and family over the course of his time on the force, and the mother reported that her daughter had been served on "multiple" occasions, offering to obtain photos. 

The mother said her daughter has been drinking, and it has become "an issue in the household." In one of the pictures, it appears she had a wristband on. 

Hill agreed, and at the end of January, he was sent five different photos and one video of the daughter and a friend with what appeared to be a mixed drink. The pictures were printed and presented to the board with faces blurred; the reporting party wishes to remain anonymous along with her daughter and friend, and she was unable to attend the hearing. 

He ran the patrons' names through police records to confirm they were not 21. 

Officer Angelica Matos said on Sept. 25, while on patrol at about 11:45 p.m., she noticed a group outside of Iztac that included a security guard and the owner. Officers inquired to ensure everything was OK, and the security guard allegedly said Columna had told him to let an individual in without checking an ID.

Police said there are usually 10 to 15 people waiting to get inside the restaurant, which sometimes has a DJ. 

"I guess there was like a conflict between the security guard and the owner because the security guard felt uncomfortable with letting these people in without knowing who they are and how old they are, and which is understandable," Matos explained. 


"And while that was going on, there was an individual that came out of Iztac that had a facial injury, he was bleeding, and at the same time as I'm dealing with that issue with the IDs, that individual was bleeding. He said he got assaulted inside. So it looked like there were just multiple things going on that needed to be noted." 

Columna later said the individual was punched outside. 

Matos said they came to the conclusion that the owner was trying to have people come inside without checking their IDs, and the security guards weren't comfortable with it. 

"I just wanted to indicate that Mr. Columna does take underage serving very seriously. He has represented to me continuously, throughout my representation of him, that he does check IDs at the door from 10 o'clock on," said his attorney, Loretta Mach, adding that they have been in front of the Licensing Board before, but not on an underage drinking issue. 

"…The fights seem to happen, and that's why the security, to try to deal with those fights. He did fire a security guard back in September, and we're thinking that the guard that was speaking to the officer lied with regard to the owner telling him to let people in without an ID." 

She said Columna feels "personally attacked," not by the city or police, but by other people frequenting the establishment who may be out to get him. 

Columna said the altercation that resulted in a man bleeding happened outside, and that he was speaking to the security guard about letting his sister in when she forgot her ID. He said he was not letting underage people in the bar. 

"I check IDs, I pay for a professional security guard," he said. 

The board also continued a show cause hearing for Ben Tempi's liquor license, as the same mother submitted an almost identical complaint about the Onota Street establishment and provided photos, one of them with the owner "clearly visible." 

The owners, Richard and Elizabeth Zucco, did not show up.  

A similar occurrence happened last year, where a mother approached the Licensing Board asking for accountability after her underage child was allegedly served at Bei Tempi.  After drinking at a graduation party, she said her 18-year-old son became further intoxicated at the establishment before returning home late and becoming combative, resulting in an arrest by police. 

"This is the second time in seven months that an allegation of serving two underage parties has been made against Bei Tempe. The last time the complaint was dismissed, when the reporting party was different from this reporting party, who had made the complaint about her child being served because she and her child failed to attend that final hearing," Hill reported. 

He explained that the current complaint was for both Iztac and Bei Tempi, and the unnamed mother found the photos online. 


Tags: license board,   alcohol violation,   license suspension,   underage drinking,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Lanesborough Board OKs Budget, Warrant Article Changes

By Breanna SteeleiBerkshires Staff

LANESBOROUGH, Mass. — The Select Board  last week approved the fiscal 2027 draft budget and made slight changes in the warrant articles impending town vote.

The proposed spending plan has an increase of a little over 10 percent. Some of the main budget increases are the Mount Greylock Regional School District and McCann Technical School: the McCann assessment is up more than 30 percent based on factors including enrollment and the renovation project, and Mount Greylock's is up 11 percent.

Another notable increase was in the life and health insurance, showing an increase of about 26 percent.

"I'd like everybody to know that the Town Hall staff, everybody, the Police Department, Fire Department, the DPW, they really looked over their budgets and went down to bare bones. I want to give them credit for that, because I think the townspeople should know that we are not only as a Select Board, as a town administrator, we are all looking to keep our taxes within a reasonable amount," said Chair Deborah Maynard.

"And I want you all to realize that the town staff and the departments have really brought their budgets down to bare bones. And I'm making this because the school department, in my opinion, and this is my opinion only, has not done their due diligence in bringing their budget under control over a 10 percent increase. I think regardless of what the insurance went up, I still think that they could have cut their budget a little more."

Maynard was the only no vote in endorsing the budget. 

The free cash warrant articles for the annual town meeting were approved with a couple of changes since last meeting.

The board added the transfer of $1,200 from free cash to purchase software to support tracking and ongoing maintenance schedules of all town-owned vehicles.

Instead of transferring $200,000 from free cash for the replacement of a fire engine, voters instead will be asked to transfer $380,000 from the fire truck stabilization fund and authorize the treasurer to borrow up to $700,000 with approval from the Select Board.

An article asking to increase the Zoning Board of Appeals membership from three to five members was  withdrawn as board member Michael Murphy felt it was not needed anymore.

Other changes was withdrawal of free cash article of $3,200 for the Assessors WebPro online search software after public comment from Barbara Hassan addressed a miscommunication with the assessors property card format. Officials want to find another way to get the information that will not cost the town.

The annual town meeting is Tuesday, June 9, at 6 p.m. Lanesborough Elementary School. The annual town election will take place June 16 at Town Hall with polls open noon until 8 p.m.

In other business, solar developer Kirt Mayland updated the board about the solar array project at Old Orebed Road and the work with EDF Power Solutions, which was the highest bidder on the project in 2022 and has been working to bring a solar array on the capped landfill.

The group recently finished an interconnection study with Eversource and connected with ISO New England to make sure they did not have any effects on the transmission system. The price was affordable with Eversource and can move forward if allowed.

EDF's last option agreement was terminated in January, and since 2022 it has been paying $5,000 to extend services, looking to extend again with the town. 

View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories