image description
Patrick Doyle, one of the speakers against the petition at Tuesday's City Council, displays the sign he brought.

Pittsfield Council Files 'Median Safety' Petition

By Brittany PolitoiBerkshires Staff
Print Story | Email Story

Mayor Peter Marchetti tells the council that he has been 'pretty beaten up' over the median proposal.

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — The City Council put a controversial petition that triggered a protest and dozens of public speakers to rest.

On Tuesday, it filed a proposed "median safety" ordinance that would have banned pedestrians from obstructing a median or traffic island and require 5 feet between people and motor vehicles at five city intersections, including Park Square. The measure is widely seen as a way to stop panhandling but could also affect protests.

"We need to continue to work together, and we all need to take care of all of us and we always have. We've always listened. We've always moved things forward that makes Pittsfield better, not worse," Councilor at Large Kathy Amuso said.

"Again, we can move forward. We can take a step, we can build on this and, I think, as you've seen, we listen. We take what you tell us seriously, and we also want people to be in a better position and feel safe."

Fifteen public speakers, some returning and some new, spoke against the petition. Community members asserted that it is an attack on poverty rather than a safety measure and, if passed, the city would join other municipalities in being sued.

Many called for resources to address the root of the problem: poverty and homelessness.

"I ask that tonight, instead of piling on to those who are already suffering with problems you are well familiar with, that you file this proposed ordinance and put more time and energy into things that already save people's lives, instead of making them more difficult," said Michael Denton, pastor of United Church of Christ Pittsfield.

Mayor Peter Marchetti said he got "pretty beaten up over this." Last month, about three dozen people gathered at Park Square to protest the proposal.

"From day one, I have been doing the job of trying to take care of the exact people that I'm now being accused of trying to make disappear," he said, pointing to his administration's establishment of the Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Task Force.

He said the upcoming budget proposal for fiscal year 2026 includes three new co-responders working alongside police who would be funded by the city's Opioid Settlement account.

In July 2021, the attorney general entered into an agreement with the major distributors of opioids. This includes payments to communities to address issues associated with opioid addiction and prevention and the city expects to receive $2,221,991.49 over its term.



Several councilors backed the mayor's intentions, asserting that they were not malicious and come from a public safety standpoint.

Ward 1 Councilor Kenneth Warren said Marchetti is trying to deal with an issue as he promised during his 2023 campaign "and I don't think he should be faulted for trying that."

Councilor at Large Earl Persip III recognized that the petition was a "loser" but cautioned community members against name calling and writing off Marchetti.

"I think its important to realize the mayor didn't bring it up just to bring it up, it was a hot topic a year and a half ago at election time. I ran in the election I know that's all we were hearing at times," he said.

"… I think he's still an ally."

Persip pointed out that Marchetti will be in office for at least another couple of years and "we should try to work together, teacher, learn. That's how we get progress."

Resident Kate Grater, who was raised in New York City, said the proposal "threatens not only the people who have been dealt with inequality and poverty and marginalized but also because it really threatens our constitutional right to assemble."

"I have never, not once, ever, never, in five years, or nearly five years, witnessed any incident," she said.

"Panhandlers stay where they are. They don't accost, they don't approach, they don't talk unless you talk to them, which would be nice. I find that when you give them a smile or even a wave, even if you don't give them any money, they're really happy to be recognized as human beings."


Tags: ordinances,   

If you would like to contribute information on this article, contact us at info@iberkshires.com.

Allendale Pines North Affordable Manufactured Homes Sell Fast

By Sabrina DammsiBerkshires Staff

Developer Teton Management cut the ribbon on the first six hopes in the manufactured housing community earlier this year. 
PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Just a few months after Allendale Pines North cut the ribbon on its first six homes in the new manufactured home community, units in the planned development are selling fast with both first and second phases all but sold out.
 
For several years, Teton Management Corp. has been planning to expand its existing Allendale Pines Mobile Community with the development of 22 planned manufactured housing units. The new development has its own entrance at 395 Cheshire Road. 
 
The need for attainable housing has never been higher, Teton President George Whaling said. 
 
"And where we sought the opportunity to help with that demand is, we can get folks into a home at Allendale Pines North for essentially a couple of $100 less than what it would cost for someone to rent a three-bedroom of the same quality," he said. 
 
The corporation took over Allendale Pines, now referred to as Allendale Pines South, about 6 1/2 years ago, Whaling said. 
 
Since then, the corporation has invested $1,000,001 in infrastructure improvements, including replacing all water and sewer lines, paving the community and installing the infrastructure needed for 10 additional units, he said. 
 
Additionally, it has been working to clean up and improve the community, which was lacking during previous ownership, said Jason Nocher, owner of Nocher Realty, which has been hired to help sell the units. 
 
View Full Story

More Pittsfield Stories